Dr. Spaw in Nashville won't do revisions

tnwalkersu
on 10/6/08 4:20 am - Somerville, TN
I just got a call from Dr. Spaw's office about doing a revision from the band to DS.  They said he doesn't do revisions of any kind.  I'm near Memphis and Nashville is so close.  She said if I get my insurance company to approve I could call back but he still probably won't do it.  So now I will go to Dr. Husted in Kentucky.  He was my first choice until I found out about Spaw.  So now to work on the insurance so I can get my surgery here in the states.  If not I will have to go to Mexico to have it done.  I had my band done there and it was great but I really want to have the DS here for the aftercare.  I don't know who would do my aftercare here if I have it done in Mexico.  I guess I could get my internist to do it if he would.  I'll have to check on that.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

mew6495
on 10/6/08 5:37 am - MI
Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with Dr. Spaw for you.  I hear Dr. Husted is a very good doctor and one with a great deal of experience in revisions.  I will say a prayer that this works out for you.  I to decided to travel for my revision.  I live in MI and came out to AZ.  So far it has not been that bad and I am glad I decided to do it.  Keep the faith.  I know it will happen for you in the states.  I hope your revision is everything you need it to be. 
tnwalkersu
on 10/6/08 8:39 am - Somerville, TN
Thanks so much.  Dr. Husted's office called today and I have a phone consult set up with him on Thursday.  They said he will talk to me personally and answer any questions that I have and should take about an hour.  Now I need to get my question list together so I won't forget anything.  And I need to work on insurance. And I need to get my mother taken care of.  She is 82 and just been diagnosed with lung cancer and it is advanced. So I need to take care of getting her affairs in order plus work on my surgery.  I know it will take a long time to get the surgery together and she doesn't have much time left but she said she wants me to go ahead with getting the surgery together.  I think that's pretty cool of her.  Still thinking of others before herself.  I guess that's what mothers do.

Margie McQueen
on 10/6/08 9:22 am - Sebastian, FL
Susan - I have heard good things about Bluegrass Bariatrics - they have numerous locations all over KY -

Sorry to hear about your mother - my mother in law passed away in May 2008 - she, too had advanced lung cancer - inoperable - we made her comfortable til the end... take care of your family first - they love and accept you no matter what  you may or may not look like... I decided to leave the revision on the back burner until now...

I had the RNY done in 2004 at St. Joe's East in Lexington, KY - I just moved to VA (job transfer) and have found a good group of doctors... I have had my first consult and am awaiting insurance results - am going from RNY to the lapband... I believe the band will allow for the restrictions I need...

Take care - Margie
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 10:22 am
Susan -

My first consult with Dr. Husted was over the phone. He will take all the time you need/want to answer your questions. I think you will be thrilled with him.

By the way, Bluegrass Bariatrics is Drs. Oldham/Weiss. They will likely only offer you the band over bypass, as I had a consultation with their office. I say their office, because I expect, as a revision patient, to actually be able to speak with the surgeon. Instead, I only met with the PA and she told me I would have to have an endoscopy, and then the doc could tell me what he would offer me as far as revision goes. This completely turned me off.....The PA was pretty pushy about the band. One of the selling points she used was that I could smoke if I got the band....I quit smoking several months ago. I thought that was tacky.....

And, they charged my insurance almost $300, which I think is ludacris for a 15 minute apt with a PA that amounted to NOTHING.

Just my .02....I would be hard pressed to get my revision with them..

Thanks,
Jill
Ladysweetthang
on 10/11/08 10:10 am, edited 10/11/08 10:16 am - NJ
Before you go to any doctor make sure its a ds doctor I didn't see any of the doctors' you mentioned on the website..so maybe you can check to see who is the closest to you..The ds website is the most accurate ds doctor list available all others are fake heres the link http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html#ne
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/08 7:50 am

Dr Husted is listed on duodenalswitch.com in California. He just moved to Kentucky.
tnwalkersu
on 10/12/08 9:46 am - Somerville, TN
I know for a fact that Dr. Husted will do the ds and he is my choice.  Ky is far away but it will be worth it because I believe I can trust him to do a good job.  There isn't anyone else close by except Dr. Spaw.  But like I said he doesn't do revisions.  I just hope the insurance will come around quickly.

Most Active