Difference between ERNY and DS?

crothers2003
on 10/4/08 7:43 am - Scottsville, VA
Can someone please explain the difference between th ERNY and the DS on a revision?
PekinSal
on 10/4/08 8:26 am - UK
I can try, but I'm not totally sure this would give me an 'A' in surgery class:

ERNY you still have a pouch, a stoma etc, capacity is around 1fl ox (?)

DS you have a sleeve stomach which is usually bigger than an RNY pouch (4-8oz), and your pylorus valve to control exit of food from the stomach, so no dumping (a good or bad thing depending on how you see it)

ERNY you have one tube, your food and digestive enzymes go down it, but it is quite a short journey - about 50cm I hear.

DS you have two tubes, food goes one way, enzymes go another. They meet for 100cm before the large intestine starts.

In both cases the majority of some foods aren't around long enough to be digested, so you eat them but they pass out of you virtually unchanged (hence the focus on poop on the DS board!)

In practical terms, speaking for DS, fat is only 20% digested, protein 50% and starches 80%. I don't know the figures for ERNY, and would be interested to know if its the same - it might not be, because the chemistry going on is probably different. I think for both ops you'd have to take vitamin supplements and pay close attention to your lab results.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Ruth S.
on 10/4/08 11:17 am - Orlando, FL
How my dr explained is that you will keep your pouch intact, what changes is the bypassed amount where you will be done or redone more distally. A thing to consider it is surgery that is done or redone completely - you maybe opened to get to the intestines..also the more distal you are the more you are prone to diarrhea. My BFF got her RNY distally and for the 6 years she has not had a solid bowel movement and her symptoms wake her up in the middle of the night or after eating a meal she has to run to the bathroom. Im sure that may not be the case for everyone..I would like to hear from any DSers that don't have this problem but that is the difference - the amt bypassed.  If you have not had this done yet..check into the stomaphyx which is an endoscopic procedure to make th pouch smaller...also have you had an Upper GI? Have they checked your stoma? My pouch has stretched and the stoma bigger. I just got the schlerotherapy procedure and can show you the stoma difference since the dr took pics. It was done endoscopically as well and I was home in a total of 4 hrs...am recovering nicely though in some pain but I know things will be better tomorrow.
Best of luck to you.
Ruth S.
Most Active