Band to RNY revision in 2 weeks looking for expereinced reports what to expect.

spotty_dotty
on 10/1/08 10:49 pm - Birmingham, UK
Hi all,

Not been around for ages...It's been a fight to secure funding for this waiting times and what not but I'm there now.

It's all of a sudden become very real to me....

Quick history or me...Had band in May 2005 after waiting 2 and a half years of attending weight management clinic's. Band never worked despite all my efforts and am now having a revision to Gastric Bypass in just over 2 weeks.

RNY was the surgions choice being in the UK and health authority funded choice regarding surgery is sort of taken out of your hands.

I have no idea what to expect regards to the RNY I'm just told all the time that I will lose slower. I think a lot of people expect it wont work like the band didn't they just assume I'll be fat for ever and there negativity does have a impact.

I'm very anxious about the results really looking for some experienced reports of how your revision went, I am more anxious because I didn't lose weight then band slipped or somthing i literally saw zero results with my band no weight loss at all. Are my friends right am I destined to be a fatty forever.
mew6495
on 10/2/08 12:29 am - MI
 Hello Spotty_dotty,

I had RNY in 2001 and am currently scheduled for a revision tomorrow.  I am not sure who said you would loose slow with an RNY.  For myself I lost 140 lbs in the first 9 months.  I know there were others who lost a great deal more in the same time period.  Everybody is different.

You can do well with the RNY.  I can't stress enough to follow the "pouch rules".  No drinking with meals, do not stuff yourself (stretches pouch).  Be sure to chew your food extremely well etc.  I am sure your doctor will give you the requirements.  STAY AWAY from carbs and be sure to have your protein drinks everyday.  And always remember your daily vitamins.   I know with me it was hard to learn the "new" feelings of a pouch vs your old stomach early out.  The feeling of "full" was no longer the same, what you can handle on a given day becomes a learned experience etc.  I.E. some days I can handle meats, and others it it a bit more difficult.  As you get farther out it becomes much easier.  The last piece of advice I can think of is to remember this is a tool not a fix all like ANY wls.  

I had a proximal (less malabsorption) rny the first time around.  I have gained some weight back due to several factors, not being informed of what to expect long term, choosing the wrong types of foods, pouch stretch etc.  I am choosing to have a revision to an ERNY for the greater malabsorption.  If your surgeon will work with you on this I would recommend a Distal RNY or ERNY.  They help with greater long term success.

All in all I am very glad I made the decision I did in 2001.  I would do it again if needed.  Good Luck to you and I hope everything works out for you.
spotty_dotty
on 10/2/08 12:38 am - Birmingham, UK

I didn't mean a slow loss with RNY but a I was told that people go have revision IE band to RNY will lose slower as a second time round op rather than some one who has just had RNY.

I am used to restrtcion having a band thats really quite tight even fully asperated, and have god knows how managed not to streach my pouch or slip my band though it's been difficult. I understand that differnt feeling of full if the feeling is similar to the band.

I would love the Distal RNY but have no idea what sort of malabsorbtion I will be getting and wont be seeing the surgeion untill the day of surgery. I saw a member of his team who did say to me as I was a band revision patient I would be getting a larger pouch and more malabsorbtion but Distal was not mentioned. I am deffo going to mention it when I see the surgeion which may very well be just moments before surgery?

NeedhamGal
on 10/2/08 6:51 am - MA
Hi...they didn't tell me whether or not I would be a fast or slow looser..but some general facts play out.....how many pounds do you need to loose...if you are on a decent diet now...and go to rny..you will have some benefit but if you aren't taking in 3000 calories a day then go to 500-800 immediately post op the delta won't be great.
I also think that years of dieting ,most recently 3 years with the band already made my body used to my metabolism and so I believe I am loosing slowly.
However, there are other people on the boards who have lost a ton of weight in the first few months after their band to rny conversions.

Joan
obrienbus18
on 10/6/08 9:55 am - Linwood, MA
I was banded in August of 2006, my band never helped me loose the weight. My port had a crack in it and i was revised to gastric on June 24 of 2008. I have since lost 41 lbs with my surgery. It has been just a little slower than others, but my BMI was 40 when I had my surgery. I found this time much better. I can't cheat or I'll get sick. I am now a little over 3 months out and started to eat more normally. I can eat small meals with my family now.

The surgery is no worse than the band. I had the same amount of pain. I feel that I recovered better this time, but I think it was because I new what to expect.

I am so happy that I did this. I am now wearing a comfortable size 14 jean and size med. shirts.
I would do it again in a heartbeat. My only regret is that I didn't do this first. I feel wonderful and so happy with me!

So with all this being said, so what If you loose just a little slower. It keeps coming off.  I am so looking forward to getting to my goal, and I know that I will!

Good luck,
Debbie

spotty_dotty
on 10/6/08 6:36 pm - Birmingham, UK
Thanks Debbie thats a very posative post and makes me feel much better, congratulations on your loss.
charleston-mom
on 10/6/08 11:18 pm
I had a revision from band to RNY one year ago and have lost 135 pounds (down to 114 now). It's the best thing I ever did! Good luck!
Most Active