Anyone had a follow-up surgery after old stomach stapling?

Robert P.
on 9/24/08 2:13 pm - Pelham, AL
In 1981 I had the old stomach stapling surgery.  It worked great and I lost from 325 to ~180 and kept it off for about 10 years.  At some point, my staple line failed, and now I'm bigger than ever.  Anyone on here had a second surgery after stomach stapling?  If so, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/08 9:45 pm - TX
There are several (BettyBoop comes to mind) on the DS board.  Come over there and ask this question.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
katie.d-154
on 9/12/11 10:04 am

I had gastric bypass in 1983 and have since gained my weight back and then some. I am a female in my 50's and weigh over 260# I did'nt realize you could have a revision done. Could someone explain to me about it. I'm in Naples, Florida and looking for a good dr. who can help me!

cincymom513
on 6/3/14 7:05 am

In 1983, gastric bypasses were not being performed.  I thought I had the same thing, but what we had then was called a vertical banded gastroplasty (stomach staple), which I also had in 1983.  Gastric bypasses were not performed in the U.S. until around 1990.  I just recently spoke with a bariatric surgeon about a revision and I have posted about it on this thread under the original question.

pineview01
on 6/3/14 7:36 am - Davison, MI

As this thread is old and the folks are mostly gone you might also want to post this as a new thread as you have something to share with those looking for the info and may not see a '08 thread a relevant.  I just spoke to a lasy at support last night that got this done and has now revised to RNY.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Deb *.
on 9/25/08 3:59 am
I had my stomach stapled in 1992, at age 19 and 369lbs.  I lost down to around 250 or so, kept it off for about 4 years and then my staple line failed as well.  From 1996 till 2007 I managed to get up to 514lbs, and was wheelchair bound.

I had a revision to RNY in Mar 2007 and couldn't be happier.  I've lost 228lbs in 18 months, got rid of my wheelchair and got my life back.  I have not had any complications from my revision.  I no longer have the problem with vomitting that I had with the stomach stapling. 

I think one of the biggest differences for me this time was the great aftercare.  With my stomach stapling once your external staples came out you were done.  No follow up, no education, no support.  This time I have a wonderful surgeon and PCP that are doing regular follow up, an incredible support system and lots of educational resources.

Debbi

Robert P.
on 9/25/08 8:13 am - Pelham, AL
You're right, there was no aftercare at all.  They did monthly bloodwork for a year, but never told me anything about carbonated beverages, meal plans, support groups, nothing.
JewelKat13
on 9/25/08 11:48 am - Phoenix, NY
I had a vbg in 1987 and I too had some success but only to fail.  I am looking to have a revision.  As with you, no education, very little follow up, I still throw up, gained the 125 I lost.  And lately the vomiting has been an issue, I just don't feel well.  Constantly tired, very low iron, and if I can get vitamins down, they just churn....this board gave me hope, that I can feel better.  If nothing else, to quit my tummy issues.  

Good luck to you!  Sending you positive energy!!

JK

X - - - - -[ .JewelKat. ♥  ]- - - - - X
avatar made by ` s h i m i`. she loves her momma.
willie55
on 12/11/12 5:10 am - Canada

I can sympathize with you, I had mine done in the mid 80s ,lost 120 lbs over a four yr period gained most of it back, I am now in my 60s and have lost 50 lbs took me a year, getting advice from a clinic close by, not easy, constantly throwing up, then, 6 yrs ago the opening to my stomach closed had to have a gastro scope done and the opening opened with the baloon, worked for about 6 yrs back again to hospital could,nt keep anything down, lost 20 lbs in less than two weeks, had the opening balooned again, twice in a week, hoping this works, may have to have a surgeon operate on me, jeez I hope not, So, so fat I have lost 75lbs, only 80 more to go, yes 80, can,t eat meat, if I do, sick, can eat fish, soft meats, so hard when we go out to eat, have to be so careful, what a mistake this was, I wish I had the new one done that they do now, sounds like it is more controlled, have a few friends who have had it done, no sense getting it done again, not with the problems with the opening, that would not change a thing. Thanks for listening, Good luck and eat small amounts I take B12, vitamins daily, helps with the fatigue.

Willie in Canada

getinther
on 9/25/08 10:45 pm - AL
I had a VBG over 14 years ago.  Needless to say, it (I) failed.  I lost almost 80lbs and gained that back and then some.  Vomiting was a huge problem and it still is.  I will have a revision on 10.15 and am looking forward to it.  Several posts have stated that there was little or no aftercare and that's true.  I live in  a small town in Alabama and support groups are not a big thing here.  Fortunatley, there is support on line and I have been able to prepare myself prior to surgery.  I am armed with all  of the tools I need and looking forward to GREAT results this time. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!   READ< READ< READ  Good luck!
Most Active