RNY Revision Question

Katrina B.
on 9/24/08 11:49 am - Prestonsburg, KY
If a surgeon does a true RNY revision to DS.. Does it happen in two surgeries?
Do they first reverse your RNY, then after you heal do they do a true DS?
ShayZ
on 9/24/08 1:49 pm - Somewhere, TX

I was told that was the usual procedure, but post this question on the DS MB; there are quite a few revisions over there as well.  Good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/08 5:52 am
I had a consultation with Dr. Husted about my RNY to DS revision. It is all done in one procedure. Your RNY is reversed, and then he does the DS after.

He told me that in rare cases, where too much scar tissue exists, that it may not be possible to redo the pouch into the sleeve. He didn't act like this would really hinder my weight loss, and didn't act like it happened a lot. So, if my insurance approves, we shall see.

Thanks,
Jill
mew6495
on 9/26/08 12:18 pm - MI
Hi Jill,

So what does Dr. Husted do in this case if you have to much scar tissue?  Does he just change the intestinal part?  Like the ERNY?  Just curious.  Good luck with your insurance. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/08 10:09 pm
Hi.

Yes, he told me if there was too much scar tissue, and it made it too risky to change your pouch back into a stomach, that he will just do the switch part of the intestines.

I asked him specifically what made this different from the distal or ERNY, and he told me, but I can't but it back into words. It has something to do with food going through the downstream intestines, instead of upstream. I hope I'm saying that right.

So, from what he said to me, it is definitely different than the ERNY.

Thanks for the luck, I need it. Still waiting.

Jill
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/08 2:26 pm - Togo
i had a rny done. and appartly the staples came undone after 12 years.

one doctor i spoke with said it was simply a matter of restapling the same area. so in my case there wasn't serious scar tissue to be concerned with.

another doctor spoke of doing a lap band over the rny which would make the stomach pouch the same restrictive size it was when i had the rny. 

both surgeries were going to be done in one session. one surgery to revise and put me back where i previously had been.

if you get on the web you can look at the surgeries being done in the operating room. it is really not as complicated as nonmedical personnel feel it is. there is more logical to it and less mystery.

good luck, hon. and keep asking questions. it's good for you.

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/08 6:38 pm - AZ
I want to add my 2 cents. Coming from my medical background it is much more complicated to go from a rny to a ds. You have to take the stomach down and you have a higher rate of leaks. Check out Dr Schlesinger;s site of ABC's of revisions. Than you pray that your pyloric valve wakes up and wants to work again. Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/08 2:16 am - Togo
in my case, with my revision. the rny already came apart. apparently a few years ago it fell apart. so in doing a revision it is pretty smooth.

in considering a revision finding out why things failed long term is important to know.

Most Active