Any RNY have their old stomach attach to new stomache?

CuldesacKitten
on 9/24/08 9:01 am
I forget what this is called - it was a big long bunch of words.. but my surgeon is having me test for it due to slow weight loss, and the amount of food I can eat. He is pretty sure that is what is going on. I get an upper GI on October 2nd, then a Scope on Oct 7th to verify.. then fix it.

Has anybody gone through this, and could you tell me more about what happens?? Do they have to re-open you.. I assume so... but just wondering how this is fixed. My surgeon will explain on the 7th, but I wanna know now :P:P
Ruth S.
on 9/24/08 11:27 am - Orlando, FL
What you have somewhat described is called a Fistula.  How they fix it - I only guess they go back separate everything and re-sew. Not sure if it's an endoscopic procedure..but may be it can be..tell us what happens!
Ruthy
Ruth S.
CuldesacKitten
on 9/25/08 9:15 am
Yes that is what it is called.. thanks for letting me know. I was then able to search for it, and read more about it.

I have a gastro-gastric fistula (most likely)

Anyways yah.. if anybody else has any stories about going through this, please let me know. Thanks =)
S Andrews
on 9/27/08 2:35 pm - eatonville, WA
I had RNY 3 years ago and stopped losing weight after 5 months. I spent 21/2 years blaming myself for not losing anymore weight then having a weight gain. I finally went to a surgeon here in the Northwest, had an upper GI done and an EGD. The conclusion he came to was that my "new" stomach had reattached itself to the old stomach and a blood clot had formed over the opening of my revision creating a fistula. His opinion was that because my "new" stomach had remained quite small there was nothing  he could due without going up into my esophagus and creating a new stomach from that. He said it was extremyly risky and wouldn't consider it. I haven't closed all the doors or options and am looking at a possible revsion with a surgeon in 
Arizona. I'm just letting the dust settle here and regrouping. Good luck in finding the answers to your delemma.
Sharon A 
amandanurse
on 10/2/08 1:21 pm - Denver, CO
I had RNY on 09/15/08.  On the 19th my old stomach staple line leaked and I had to be revised.  I went home with a G-tube in my old stomach.  The fist day home I noticed a red tinge to the contents of my G-tube when I was drinking red colored crystal light.  I most likely have a gastro-gastric fistula. The other cause may be that things are "backing up" into my old stomach.  My surgeon wants to give it a month and see if things resolve on their own.  After that I will undergo some more diffinitive GI studies.  At that point if it is a fistula I will need to be revised again in the OR but not for another three months. 

I had my procedure at the hospital where I work as a nurse.  I trust my surgeon and he is as frustrated with my results as I am.  I am the second person in six years that may be have a fistula.  Lucky Me.

I hope things work out for you, keep me posted

Amanda
CuldesacKitten
on 10/3/08 4:35 pm
I found out I don't indeed have a fistula, my pouch was just made too large in the first place.

I really feel for you ladies dealing with fistulas, and stomach reattachments after having read a lot about it. I hope the best for you, and hope it all gets straightened out.
Most Active