RNY revision or RNY to Lap-Band, how did you decide?

bmajorsncm
on 9/24/08 12:13 am
I have an RNY, and can either have the RNY revised, or have a lap-band put over the existing RNY. If you were in the same situation, how did you decide which one to have, and what are your thoughts on it now? Insurance only covers one practice, and insurance covers RNY revision or lap-band, not stomaphyx. Thank you for your ideas!

Barbara
Hondurian Queen
on 9/24/08 2:03 am - BOSTON, MA
did you ask the surgeon what they thought? I personally think you should revise the rny not to band BUT the decision is yours I had the band originally wanted the RNY was told I couldnt have it never went and got a second opinion and had it other medical issues and was revised to the RNY and doing well I am so happy with MY SURGERY REMEMBER THE SURGERY IS YOUR DECISION GOOD LUCK

mew6495
on 9/24/08 11:24 am - MI
 I would recommend a revision to the RNY.  But this time around see if they can make your RNY more Distal or ERNY.  This is where they give you the shorter common channel.  The ERNY's CC is much the same as the DS and provides greater long term success.

I am choosing the ERNY for these reasons and I have also read that sometimes bands do not do so good over an existing RNY.  Something to consider.  Do your research, there are many revision options.  As other posts have mentioned...This is your decision so do what is best for you and your cir****tances.  Decide what you want and go for it!

Good Luck to you.
Most Active