Lap band removal question

brandyII
on 9/23/08 1:36 pm
Have any of you had a lap band removed and if so was it done laparoscopically and was it more painful to have it removed or to be banded in the first place? Just trying to be prepared being banded wasn't that painful for me and I am not going for a revision.  Thanks brandyII.
m.espoir
on 9/23/08 1:57 pm - NJ
Yes, mine was removed (laproscopically). And, YES it was WAYYY more painful than the placement, but that was probably because it eroded and left a huge gaping hole in my stomach that had to be repaired and patched....
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

shel
on 9/23/08 10:29 pm, edited 9/23/08 10:29 pm - Howell, NJ
Had my lapband removed and RNY performed on 6/30/09.  Hospital stay for lapband was almost 7 days, I had complications; vs. hospital stay for revision, I went home early afternoon the next day.  Recovery time for both was about the same, but revision was more painful afterwards, as I assume more organs were moved around, lapband had adhered to my stomach wall, etc.  Overall, more discomfort with revision but then again it was a longer surgery.  Much better outcome after revision and able to go home much sooner.  Both surgeries were performed laparoscopically, but the revision was tricky -- good surgeon Dr. JB was able to do it.
Good Luck.
sallyb12
on 9/24/08 12:37 am - MI
I just had my band removed on 9-9, and went to RNY.  I had an open incision, as the doctor wanted to be prepared for whatever, and I think it affords a better overall look of the body systems.  I also had my gall bladder taken out at the same time.  This wasn't the reason for the open surgery decision, as it was discoverd during pre - op tests that the gall bladder was bad.

I had no complications.  I stayed 3 days in the hospital, and I am having a much longer recovery and much more pain.  That being said, I am so pleased with the surgery, getting the band out, and I am already feeling better than I did with my lap-band still in.  I know that all pain is temporary, for me.  I do feel better every day. and I am gald that the surgery  went well, and the outlook is great!
ScarlettC
on 9/25/08 2:56 pm
I was so glad to read your post about your revision surgery.  This is my first time to post I've just been reading ......   I TOO have a band that I can't wait to have removed.  On October 28 I'm scheduled to have the band removed, gallbladder out, and RNY.  I lost about 35 pounds with the band and that was all.  It even caused slight stretching of my esopahgus.  I've been told that I will have a much greater chance of a leak after having the band removed and then RNY and that the weight loss might not be as dramatic as a first time RNY patient.    Have you heard this?  Please keep me posted on how you do?  Thanks again for sharing your story it was very encouraging to me.
sallyb12
on 9/26/08 4:47 am - MI

This is why I love OH.  There is almost always somebody who has had the same issues!

I am doing great so far, eating the pureed and soft foods, along with the protein drinks.  I think that it is important that you go to a doctor who has done many revisions.  Initially, my doctor told me he may not be able to remove the band, gallbladder and do the RNY in one procedure.  But he was able to do that.  My doctor does revisions open, so that he has a good overall look at everything.  He took his time, the surgery took 3 hours, and I have a 12 in*****ision on my stomach, but I am so happy to have this done, and I am feeling better every day.  I'm not on any pain medication, and my discomfort signals me when to slow down.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am so glad to have the band out.  The first day out of surgery, I couldn't swallow anything, because my esopahgus was very swollen, but that resolved itself the following day.  My doctor did say that the risks of this surgery was 10 times more than the band, but after the surgery everything has looked good, and I have had no problems.  I weighed 217 on 9-9, day of the surgery, and I am 206 today, but I am not as active as I was the first time around.  I am just looking forward to having a healthier and better quality of life.

Good luck with your surgery, and I will let you know how my recovery goes.

brandyII
on 9/29/08 11:56 am
Good luck to you Sally...,

My daughter had the RNY last May and has dropped about 120 lbs since April 2008.  She's very disciplined and young!  Well, 20 years old.  I don't think I want to risk another surgery so I'm not revising.  I don't know how many ex-banders actually don't revise to any other WLS after their removal.  I wish you continued good health, brandyII.
brandyII
on 9/24/08 3:17 am
Wow thanks all!  I'm told it will be lapro and out-patient so I'm hoping it goes that way.  So far there are no comps that I know of other than reflux.  Good luck to all of you and hope you're all doing well! brandyII
Jenn S.
on 9/24/08 3:47 am
Brandy,

I had my band out last November.  It was basically outpatient.  They had planned for me to stay one night but I really didn't feel I needed to and obviously neither did the doc.  I had it early on Monday morning, the week of Thanksgiving, and went home that night.  I was completely "normal" by Thanksgiving Day to eat like a normal person again.  I think I did liquids one day after surgery to make sure.  I will say though, I did not have any evidence of erosion or slippage so I guess that could make a difference.  I didn't need any pain meds or anything -- the most tender of all of the spots was where the port was removed.

No biggie, and very worth it in my situation!  Good luck!

brandyII
on 9/24/08 4:37 am
Thanks Jenn,

I'm counting on a similar situation as yours.  brandyII
Most Active