Can anyone tell me why?

Monique H.
on 9/20/08 3:48 pm
Why don't people who have erny lose more and faster than people who have ds? If you have the same plumbing as far as common channel and have a smaller pouch therefore taking in less food, why don't they lose more and faster as well as keep it off longer? Just curious.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
mew6495
on 9/20/08 11:23 pm - MI
 I think the results can very depending on the individual and how short the CC is.  Are you talking about first time wls or revision?  What I have been reading is that some, but not all seem to loose slower after a revision but not with the first time around.  I don't think there is a lot of information available to determine if the long term success is the same or different then a DS individual.  With the same plumbing I would think the long term results will be the same.  This is what several surgeons indicated when I had contacted them.
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/08 11:36 pm - Brampton, Canada
My understanding is that while both surgeries have malabsorption it is roughly 30% with RNY and 70% with the DS.  
PekinSal
on 9/21/08 8:38 am - UK
DSers have a website called 'labrats' that you can look at to compare starting BMIs, stomach size and CC length with weight loss.

Is there something similar for RNYers? Perhaps there aren't so many people getting eRNY for them to count as a 'statistic'?

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

ginau
on 9/22/08 3:58 am - mesa, AZ
Hey  Sal

Do you have a link for that page - Sounds wonderful !

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

PekinSal
on 9/22/08 5:47 am - UK
On September 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM Pacific Time, ginau wrote:
Hey  Sal

Do you have a link for that page - Sounds wonderful !
Indeedy I do

http://www.epursimuove.com/ds/

I put myself on it, then forgot my password so I'll have to put myself on it again...

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Monique H.
on 9/21/08 1:30 pm
I was just curious. To me it would seem like say if someone who had erny and someone else who had ds had the same length of common channel and the person with erny pouch was smaller than someone with ds's, that the person who had erny would lose more weight faster because they take in much less food than someone with a ds stomach. Oh and I was referring to both revison and first time surgeries. That's just something I was thinking about.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/08 5:11 pm - San Jose, CA

Possibly at least in part because eRNYers still have almost all of their small intestine in the alimentary tract, and thus absorb a lot more than DSers do.  Also, the DS construction seems to have a better effect on the correction of the metabolic defects (insulin sensitivity) than the RNY.

Also, distal RNYers are generally SMO, and eRNYers are mostly revisions (not sure exactly how or whether those two surgeries differ structurally), which means they are at a disadvantage to start with, on average.

Monique H.
on 9/22/08 1:12 am
On September 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:

Possibly at least in part because eRNYers still have almost all of their small intestine in the alimentary tract, and thus absorb a lot more than DSers do.  Also, the DS construction seems to have a better effect on the correction of the metabolic defects (insulin sensitivity) than the RNY.

Also, distal RNYers are generally SMO, and eRNYers are mostly revisions (not sure exactly how or whether those two surgeries differ structurally), which means they are at a disadvantage to start with, on average.

Yeah I didn't think about the fact that I only see erny on people who are having a revision. Even though I don't know what the alimentary tract is the last part of that makes sense to me. Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/08 1:15 am - San Jose, CA
Alimentary tract = the portion that food travels down (the biliopancreatic tract is the portion that is excluded from the food stream, and carries only bile and pancreatic enzymes).
Most Active