Why are RNYers gaining weight back?

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/08 4:36 pm - TX
I can only speak of my personal experience with RNY regain.  Stoma enlargment and staple line disruption.  At 2 years out with only coffee in my stomach the morning I felt my staples bust loose.
Deanne K.
on 9/23/08 2:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
What Dr. Schlesinger found out with my revision surgery was this:

1.  I was not given even a proximal bypass to begin with.  I was bypassed very little, which he said was almost non-existent.

2.  My stoma was enlarged.  When I lost my restriction, I was done losing weight.  This happened to me at exactly 100 lb loss and 14 months post op.

I only had 20 lb regain before my revision and I am almost 4 years out from my original surgery. 

Yes, we are not always at fault here.  I have to be honest, I didn't always follow the rules after the first 18 months, it was like a lost cause for me at this point.

Surgeons fail us and the surgery sometimes fails us.

Please do all the research you can and decide with the guidence of a good revision surgeon which type of surgery is appropriate for you. 
Good Luck to you.

ShayZ
on 9/24/08 2:02 pm - Somewhere, TX
Well I think the answer is rather simple...RNY is the prevalent surgery in this country; thus you hear of more people with failing outcomes....we are starting to get more and more banders and you will hear from them.  I have spoken to two people that have had there DS not work the way they thought it should but look at how strict the insurance rules are around it; the saftey information and frankly the invasive nature.

Now b4 I get flamed; I am not knocking DS.  I wish I had known of the surgery when I got mine and I am on the revision board for a reason.  I am just pointing out that sometimes the numbers tell the story.

Just my .02.
Texas_Filly
on 9/24/08 9:41 pm - Lake Dallas, TX
Hello All..... I am one of them....the dreaded RNY alumni!!! I had an open gastric bypass on October 16,2001. After recovery, and the realization I would be able to function again in a 'normal' way, I was THRILLED with my decission to have gastric bypass surgery. To this day almost 7 years to the month I am still thrilled. I had a weight loss of 150 pounds (my doc still felt I needed to loose more, although all my closest friends told me I looked TOO thin and gaunt...TOO THIN....now thats something I had NEVER EVER heard before!!!) Over the next 4plus years....and delicious meals, and delectable donuts, grazing and cleaning my plate (because ot was TOO GOOD TO WASTE-despite my full tummy) I started to regain some of the pounds I had lost and vowed to NRVER EVER gain back. In 2006 I started to drink Coke Zero (my first carbonation in 5 years (the devil made me do it!!) and it seemed to go down hill from their. 65 pounds of the 'foever gone' weight was back!!!! Just like an old friend. UGGG!!!! I had the stomaphyx procedure on Manday September 22 and would love to meet others who have walked this path prior to me... Hellp....IS ANYBODY OUT THEIR??? -Rebecca
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/08 10:08 pm - TX
If you qualify for weight loss surgery, you qualify for the DS.  If your insurance denies it, you can win on an appeal.  In 2004, our federal government started approving the DS, no longer calling it "experimental".

All surgeries are invasive and the DS has the same risks as any and it has the best long term stats of taking the weight off and keeping it off.
carmen3823
on 9/25/08 1:16 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Starry1st!  Thank you soo much for the info.  I am going to fight it, even though BC/BS of IL PPO says it's "investigational".

Carmen M.

LoriAS
on 9/25/08 2:43 am - CA
 My theory and this is just my own personal theory is that the body does not know where the stomach ends and the intestines begin. There is no pyloris to regulate what goes out of the stomach.

So many people seeking revisions have upper GIs and they show the pouch is still small.
This is what lead me to my theory.

I have no clue why this doesn't happen until about 3-5 years out though.

Lori
Most Active