RNY wish they would have DS?

susan C.
on 9/19/08 11:46 am - Elgin, Canada
Hi everyone!
I have 200 pounds to lose and have been overweight my whole adult life.  I am considering RNY and DS.  I have noticed a lot of RNY that have gained a lot of their weight back and this really worries me.  Do many people wish they would have had the DS surgery?
KRWaters
on 9/19/08 2:06 pm - Manteca, CA
Yes, most definitely, a lot of RnYers wish they had the DS, like me. I am going o have the DS evenutually. Have you check with Dr. Lutryzowkski in Rochester Hills, Michigan?. He does many Canadians' revisions or first timers to DS. Iwish you well.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

susan C.
on 9/19/08 9:41 pm - Elgin, Canada
Thank u.... yes, that is the dr i would go with... :)
Katrina B.
on 9/20/08 12:31 am - Prestonsburg, KY
Hi Susan,

I had RNY but since I've put back on 35 lbs I sure wish I would've had the DS. It is so common w/ an RNY to put back on weight.. at least according to the grads board. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone who had the DS gain weight.
I think you would be very successful with a DS especially if you want to lose 200 lbs. Just take those supplements and you'll be fine!

Good Luck!
sallyb12
on 9/20/08 3:44 am - MI

I had a revision from the lap band to RNY.  I did research the DS surgery, and contacted 2 doctors in the Detroit area, but there was additional expense assosicated with them.  One was an extra $1,750.00, and the other was an extra $4,500.00 for aftercare and counseling, which insurance doesn't pay for.  I couldn't afford either one. I just had the RNY, and I feel like this is going to work out well for me.

scrapper5
on 9/20/08 4:04 am - Burnsville, MN
Hello.  Have you checked out duodenalswitch.com  There are a lot of studies there that show the superior weight loss result for people with higher BMI's.  With the DS you will also have the best chance of keeping the weight off long term.  All the studies are on the web site quoted above.

Jennifer

mew6495
on 9/20/08 9:10 am - MI
 I had RNY in 2001.  If DS was as popular then as it is now I would probably have chosen the DS because of the long term success.  If you choose to go with the RNY there are a couple options that will give you better results.  The distal and ERNY.  I would suggest checking out the ERNY if you can not go the DS route.  This gives you the same CC as the DSers and in some cases even shorter (depending on the doctor).  You're doing the right thing by researching all avenues.  Pick what is best for your cir****tances.  Maybe you should post your question on the DS forum as well.  You can probably get some good feed back about the DS.  Good Luck to you.
Tabitha70
on 9/22/08 5:25 am
Yes, I wish that I had a DS instead of RNY.  I only lost 100lbs with RNY and needed to lose 200. Plus, 8 years later, I have gained it all back. I have an enlarged stoma and I also have an ulcer. I have dumping and I also have reactive hypoglycemia which is no fun. 
I am going to get a revision to DS but it is a risky surgery and I wish I had known more and just gotten a DS to begin with.  I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide, just think it over carefully.  The last seminar I attended stated that 1 out of 4 RNYers seek revision..
susan C.
on 9/22/08 12:13 pm - Elgin, Canada
thank u... that is very interesting.. i believe i have decided to get the DS.. now just have to convince my doctor that it is the right surgery for me...
Tabitha70
on 9/23/08 1:20 pm
I didn't want to just edit my post in case you didn't see it, so I'm adding this in a reply instead.  I believe I may have misquoted the surgeon when I wrote that '1 in 4 RNY patients seek revision'.   I mentioned it to my husband who was also at the seminar with me and he said he understood the doctor to say that '1 in 4 RNY patients regain their weight'.   I apologize if I got this wrong, I don't want to give out incorrect information.  I'm positive (as is my husband) that  at the very least he said that percentage gains the weight ,just not sure that he actually said that many seek revisions or if I just added that part in on my own since I was there to learn about a revision myself.  (and I still wish I got the DS first)
Sorry about the mistake everyone!
Most Active