Does Medicaid pay for revisions?

shawn31
on 9/19/08 11:40 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

I had my RNY in 2005 and I lost 97 pounds. I started out weighing 323 and I currently weigh in at 240. O ne doctor told me that I wasn't big enough to have a revision w/o anything else wrong with me. I am only obese and I have no other health problems. When I walk my bones crack and pop. (LOL)  Do you think that will help? I statrted ou with Medcost and I now have Medicaid so I am going to another seminar monday to see what happens.

Shawn

KRWaters
on 9/19/08 1:19 pm - Manteca, CA
I had RnY in 2005, April, myself. I lost 90 pounds. Have gained 50 pounds in 1 1/2 years back and I am going for a revision to a DS. I currently weigh 230. Diabetes has come back to me and I still have sleep apnea. Medicare paid for my RnY so in that regard, Medicaid should pay for your revision. Call your medicaid office first before you start the ball rolling. What revision are you hoping for?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

shawn31
on 9/20/08 3:25 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
shawn31
on 9/20/08 3:53 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
I'm not sure which revision that I am considering. I am going to a seminar about the lap band Monday with my mother. I 'm not sure if my BMI is high enough.

Shawn

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/08 10:14 pm - AZ
Typically you must have a BMI of 35 or more with two specific comorbids or a BMI of 40 or greater with or without other medical issues going on.  This applies to the majority of ins co's.  Medicaid is even harder for most people to get approval and then once you do get approval finding a doc to do it is no easy task.  Most docs don't take Medicaid because of the low reimbursement.

(I work in the health care field)

shawn31
on 9/21/08 7:00 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

Thanks for responding. I have a choice of three doctors so that is not the problem.I was granted my RNY with a BM of 50 with no other medical issues other than weight. I stopped losing weight after dropping  90 pounds. I am still in the 200's and I AM STUCK. I almost feel sick to my stomach when other people have lost more weight than me after having the surgery. I hate to tell people I had the surgery because I know they're thinking...you're still fat. I do feel like I have failed and that it why I want a revision and a new direction for myself.

Shawn

Most Active