Food gets caught in throat

shawn31
on 9/19/08 8:55 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

Hey Guys,
I have recently experienced some food or liquid coming back up my throat after I eat. I don't want to sound nasty but it hurts. What is happening? Anyone else experience this?

Shawn

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 10:38 am - AZ
Have you had surgery yet?  Which one?

shawn31
on 9/19/08 11:02 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
Yes ,I had the RNY in 2005.

Shawn

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 11:12 am - AZ
Have you tried treating it as thought it is reflux?  If you take a PPI such as prilosec, do you notice a difference?  (BTW, PPIs such as Prilosec take about 1-3 days to begin working.)  In the meantime what about Gaviscon?

If that fixes the problem at least you know it is reflux.  The next step is to find out why you have reflux.  Could be a hiatal hernia or some other problem going on.

shawn31
on 9/19/08 11:16 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
No I haven't tried Prilosec. I will definitely try it.

Shawn

KRWaters
on 9/19/08 1:21 pm - Manteca, CA
You could try Prilosec, Nexium, Pepcid, Tagamet, or get a prescription for Protonix as I am taking. I do not think it comes in otc form.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

mew6495
on 9/19/08 1:22 pm - MI
 I have started having this problem within the last year.  I had my original RnY in 2001.  At times "stuff" even comes back up through my throat while I am sleeping and I start choking.  I have just been diagnosed with acid reflux which was caught during an upper GI.  If it is reflux you may want to get it checked out because untreated it can cause esophageal cancer or scarring in your throat causing it to close up over time.  My PCP put me on Prevacid.
Most Active