Update w Pictures/ Question

Divatee
on 9/17/08 11:07 pm - Landover, MD
All is well with the family, Hubby and I are wonderful, we are celebrating our 2 years of wedding bliss.  Makayla is great, she so independant, wants to do every thing herself.  She doing great in school, teacher is move her to the 3yr old class in last month.  My big girl is growing up. 

I have a question:  Has anyone here ever a revision to the WLS?  Can the WLS be revise to make you lose more weigt?  I had the surgery in 12/03,  I got down to 235, but after Makayla I'm back at 270? 

Dress in her Princess outfit

1st day of school

Makayla sleeping in her big girl bed - Theresa
http://www.myspace.com/mrs_tgary
My new online business, check it out!!
http://millenniummerchandise.ispeedway.com/
- Theresa
http://www.myspace.com/mrs_tgary
My new online business, check it out!!
http://millenniummerchandise.ispeedway.com/
pokerchips
on 11/2/08 9:24 am
Go for it.  I had surgery in 2001 I did not loose very much weight and have regained most of it back and my old health problems have come back & more.  I feel like a failure and am concerned that I will have a very small weight loss like I did the first time.  But I am done wondering, I have been evaluated for a revision and am awaiting insurance approval. Make an appointment with a surgeon and get evaluated for a revision.  By the way your family is beautiful!
Nanna050
on 11/2/08 11:19 am - Pleasant Hill, CA
Hi:

I was reading your post and curious if you had gotten your revisiion yet. I'm trying to get an appt with a doctor to see if they can do the stomafix. I had gastric in May of 2003 and did well for 3 years then the  last two I've put on 50 lbs and very unhappy. I'm just trying to hear others stories and see how there going about there process and what there having to go thu. Any information you give me I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Nancy
mew6495
on 11/2/08 10:06 am - MI
 Yes, the RNY can be revised.  There are many options out there, ERNY, DS, band over RNY etc etc etc...   I had RNY in 2001 and was revised to ERNY on 10/3.  I am loosing weight again and am down 3 clothes sizes!  Do your research as to what procedure is the best for your cir****tances and go for it!

Very cute family by the way!  Good luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 9:26 am - KY
MEW6945, have you heard of any advantage of having the ERNY over a DS after having a failed RNY?  I believe the DS pouch from what I have read stretches out over time just as the RNY pouch does......so isn't it really the malabsorptive, lower part, of the surgery that actually helps a failed RNY?  Just wanted your opinion, thanks, Pat
mew6495
on 8/31/09 11:13 am - MI
On August 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, patken24 wrote:
MEW6945, have you heard of any advantage of having the ERNY over a DS after having a failed RNY?  I believe the DS pouch from what I have read stretches out over time just as the RNY pouch does......so isn't it really the malabsorptive, lower part, of the surgery that actually helps a failed RNY?  Just wanted your opinion, thanks, Pat
This would depend on why your original RNY failed.  The advantage for me was the risk factor  involved with one versus the other.  Revising from an RNY to a DS is one of the highest risk for complications revisions there are.  That is why it is so very important to get a very qualified revision doctor.  Not one who just does revisions but one who does many, many, many revisions and has a lot of experience with the RNY to DS.  Your profile says Dr. Husted is your doctor.  He is reported to be one of the best as far as revising a Rny to DS.  

I did not want the risk of complications that can arise with reconstructing the whole stomach and turning it into a sleeve.  And yes, during my research I have been told by several surgeons offices that the sleeved stomach of the DS can stretch some over time and the lack of the "hunger" hormone may only last for a given period of time as well.  But one of the advantages of the DS portion of the stomach is you can eat more normal.  This would be important if you are one of the RNYers who have problems with dumping or eating certain foods.  Neither of these have ever been my problem so it wasn't really a determining factor in my revision choice.

I only wanted the greater malabsorption aspect.  My research also indicated that the ERNY would give me roughly the same benefits as the DS as far as malabsorption.  I only had about 60 lbs to loose so this was a better choice for my cir****tances.  That and I had less recovery time, I was back at work in less then 4 weeks, I didn't have to wait for my "stomach" to heal and adjust and I have a 75 cm CC.  I was very proximal for my fist wls so my body was able to overcome the malabsorption portion easily.  From what I understand is that there is only so much intestine that you can bypass before the body can not overcome it in time.  So I am hoping with my shortened CC that my tool is powerful enough to keep me where I want to be.  So far so good.  I am very happy with my choice and have had very few issues other then the bouts of gas and occasional diarrhea when I eat the wrong food.  I believe the DSers also experience this side effect as well.   Just like any wls, not every one in is suited for the whole population.  

Good Luck to you.

ShayZ
on 11/2/08 11:02 am - Somewhere, TX
I can't see the pictures....and I am nosey.....
Most Active