Uncontrollable vomiting and nausea...anyone??

missys828
on 9/16/08 3:39 am - Tarpon Springs, FL
I had my RNY revision on 7/2/08 (original surgery 2/11/01).  Since my revision I've had 3 "bouts" of uncontrollable vomiting that usually lasts anywhere from 10-14 hours.  Typically it's just dry-heaves, but it leaves me unable to eat or drink anything for about 24 hours.  When I mentioned it to my doctor (after calling him for a prescription for phenergran), his response was "It happens."

Has anyone else had this happen?  Any thoughts on what may trigger it?

-Butterfly-
on 9/16/08 4:57 am
I would ask your doctor to give you an endoscopy to check for a blockage or scar tissue that may be blocking your stoma.  I had this happen about 6 days after my surgery, my stoma closed up due to scar tissue over the hole.  I was vomiting everything, including plain water.  I went in for a scope and he was able to open it with the same procedure, quick and painless! 

Don't put up with it, your doctor seems rude!  If he won't check it, find another one!

Good luck & God Bless!
 ~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs
Back up to 400 lbs - 2008

Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part one - 9/2/08
Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part two - 10/10/08
beckydoering
on 9/16/08 5:44 am - Great Mills, MD
I've been reading your posts about endocopic sclerotherapy, where are you located and who is your doctor?  Did insurance cover any part of your procedure?  Thanks, Becky
sharons5873
on 9/17/08 9:23 am - Cocoa, FL
I have been unable to eat any food since my Gastric Bypass in 2006. After 4 scopes the result was that the pouch opening which is attached to the intestines is too small. I have been unable to find a Dr to fix the problem and was told to repeatedly go have an endoscopy performed and the opening stretched. The problem with that is it only last for a little more than a month and the only improvement is that I am then able to eat soup for a month.  I am interested to know where you are located and who your Dr was that helped you?
Monique H.
on 9/16/08 1:38 pm
This happened to me and I had to be hospitalized for about a wee****il they got it under control. I never found out why it was happening. Sorry I couldn't be any help.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Deanne K.
on 9/16/08 2:54 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have been having some of the same symptoms.  I talked with my Dr. and he is more concerned that I am getting dehydrated and I needd to concentrate on liquids.  If I can't get the vomiting under control then he wanted to see me.  I only had surgery 2 weeks ago, so I am sure, that some of mine is normal.  I would talk more to him about it.  Don't take no for an answer, you shouldn't be doing this, this far out, I don't think.
Deanne
Arizonadck
on 9/16/08 11:49 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Deanne,
Are you drinking more water?  If so, feeling any better - stop vomiting?  How much water is needed to stay hydrated?  About how much are you drinking a day?  You said you're going to the OH event this weekend - have fun!  I wish I could go.  If my surgery date wasn't so close I would have gone.  You said you're hoping he takes your drains out.  I thought drains only stayed in up to a week...  I'm leaving 10 days after my surgery - I hope I don't have to travel w/the drains...  Oh well, whatever needs to be done!  Anyhow, I hope you're doing better!!!  Carolyn
Deanne K.
on 9/17/08 11:28 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Carolyn,
I am drinking more than 64 oz a day now.  I was having trouble even getting that much in.  The nausea has gone down now, but it's not completely gone.  No vomiting in the last couple of days.  He kept my drain in because around the incision it has been inflamed.  We were unsure of what is going on with it and I will still draining quite a bit.  He is just being very careful in pulling it out to early and me having problems as I still live over 120 miles from him.  You shouldn't have to have the drain beyong the 1 week unless there is a problem.  I am so allergic to so many things it could have just be an allergic reaction, but like he said, better safe than sorry.  I got my first protein drink in since I got home last Friday tonight.  I am hoping that I can get back on track and start to get my strength back.  I know that the OH event will be great, I sure hope that I can endure and enjoy the day of speakers.
Deanne
Arizonadck
on 9/18/08 11:31 am - Chicago, IL
I hope keeping up your water intake is the answer!   So was the protein drink tolerable?  Are you going to slowly increase each day?   So you're driving back to Phoenix for the OH event this weekend.  I hope the drive is ok for you.  Are you staying overnight - if so, at the hotel where the event is?  If so, you could just go up to your room if you get too tired.  Hope the drive is ok for you!  I really wish I could go.  Have a good time!!  Take care!  And keep up the good work!!  Carolyn 
Deanne K.
on 9/18/08 1:09 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Carolyn,
So far increasing the water has helped.  The protein drink is tolerable, I did a rootbeer float and it was good and was able to keep it down.  My friend is driving up to the OH convention.  We are only staying at the event hotel Friday night and then going to a hotel about a mile up the road for the rest of the weekend.  It will be fine.  I may see if we can get a late checkout or something, I know checkout if noon normally.  I am looking forward to seeing so many new and old friends at the OH convention this weekend.  Wish you could be here.
Deanne
Most Active