If u were to do it over Lap band vs. all others

m.espoir
on 9/16/08 1:54 pm - NJ
Wow, loaded question. DS wins. I dont feel the band is permanent. See my profile...good luck
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

Lifedancer59
on 9/17/08 2:26 am
Thanks to all *****plied and gave valuable information.  Sounds like DS wins out.  I'm praying really hard about.

Maria
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/08 4:52 am - TX
Good luck Maria with making your decision.  I would urge you to read this board and see how many banders and RNY'rs you see needing revisions.  Not so with the DS'rs.  In fact, I would venture to say the DS'rs as a whole are extremely happy with their surgery.
pepsi98
on 9/17/08 7:58 pm - Norwich, CT
I would probably venture into the DS but there are NO surgeons in my state that do them. 
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KRWaters
on 9/19/08 1:48 pm - Manteca, CA
Correct, there are no DS surgeons in CT, but there are in NY, in Baltimore, and NJ, all with very good surgeons who are experts in the DS. Yes, you have to travel, but why not for the best and sustained good outcome. Good luck.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

babsintx
on 9/17/08 9:22 am - GA
Hi,

I think that a revision board is not the place to post this. If you go to the lapband board, they will say lapband is the best thing in the universe. If you go to the DS board, they will say that DS is the best. If you go to the revision board, most people will be lapband or RNY or VBG patients because the lapband is the least invasive of the WLS surgery options and it is the only one that is a medical device subject to failure. You can not compare it to a malabsorptive procedure. That is like comparing apples and salami.

I am a revision from lapband (5 year bandster) to sleeve due to complication of pseudo achalasia of the esophagus which is a long term complication of band. If you ask me if I would have had the band 5 years ago if the sleeve was available then, I could not give you an answer. I was sold on the band because it was reversable and adjustable. There really is merit with this depending on how much you need to lose. The band was the right procedure for me because it was solely restrictive and there were no other choices. THankfully, because I was banded and didnt have a more invasive procedure, the sleeve was still available to me. IF the sleeve doesnt work (which is NOT the case) and I should ever regain my weight, I will most definitely consider the DS.

Babs

jenniebr
on 9/17/08 1:44 pm - queen creek, AZ
As a person that maintained my weight loss, I can say it worked for me and my hubby.  As a person that works in the WLS world, I think that there is not one surgery that is for everybody.   The biggest revisions seem to be with RNY.   I think you need to be comfortable with your own personal choice.  There are so many things to consider, BMI, co-morbidities, lifestyle, pickyness with foods the list goes on.  An excellent bariatric surgeon  will explain each procedure and the pros & cons of each to allow you to make an informed choice.  Do plenty of research (as you are doing) and be comfortable with the choice. 
Since the question is "if u were to do it over"  I would still choose the band but thats assuming the outcome would be the same.  I originally wanted a DS.  My insurance would not cover it (BMI was 48) and I did not want RNY.  I am pro DS but know that its all about personal choice.
Good LUCK!!
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 10:55 am - AZ
I don't believe the band will be forever, I honestly don't.  I can't honestly tell anyone that the band is any good.  It is hard on your esophagus, the problems I believe are under reported, the problems are huge and significant.

Personally I wouldn't even consider DS.  The sleeve is fantastic for me, I like it.

KRWaters
on 9/19/08 1:50 pm, edited 9/19/08 1:51 pm - Manteca, CA
I have yet to get it, but having a RnY now, I definitely vote for the DS. It has the best sustained weight loss outcome, more variety of foods to eat, no dumping no strictures, a better overall feeling of good life. Check out the DS more and at dudenalswitch.com for all the best info.

ETA: yes i will be a revision from RNY to DS and I cannot wait.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Tabitha70
on 9/22/08 5:33 am
It is my understanding that if your downfalls are sweets and/or picking at food all day/grazing..then the lap bad would not be a good choice for you..you'll defeat it.  If your habits are to eat 3 meals a day with not much inbetween but overeat those 3 times then the lap-band may work for you. It would restrict you at those 3 meals so that you couldn't eat as much.
But if you're eating habits fall into sweets and grazing then you probably need a surgery that is both restrictive and malabsorptive to be successful.  Hope that makes sense.  Good Luck.
Most Active