If u were to do it over Lap band vs. all others

Lifedancer59
on 9/15/08 1:22 pm
I've been considering the lap band but I'm interested in knowing what procedures are getting revisions?  Which is the better surgery, the band or DS?

Confused in CT
jinks
on 9/15/08 2:24 pm, edited 9/15/08 2:25 pm
I can tell you that I would never get the lapband even if it was the last resort.  It has been a failure for me.  It failed less than two months out.  I have been living with it, but will be having the RNY on Oct 17.  The only good thing that came from the lapband is that It got rid of my heartburn.  I quit smoking trying to get rid of the lheartburn and the lapband did it when all else failed.
MARCIAM
on 9/15/08 3:34 pm - Sayville, NY
I cannot in good conscience recommend the lap band. I had to have mine out after 2 1/2 years due to horrible and constant reflux. It was removed on 8/20 and I will be having RNY next Monday 9/22.  Please check out my profile to read the rest of my saga.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

E. T
on 9/15/08 11:22 pm - Manchester, NH
Ditto with me, I have had two bands now with negative results.  I am not sure if it's just my body with the lapband or the lapband itself.  You can read my profile too.  I do have a good friend who has a band and has lost over 100lbs.  But she is beginning to gain the weight back.  They are trying to tweek the fill in the band for her.  I can't compare to DS.  I am having a revision to RNY on Oct 20.  Good luck to you. 
Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can; all of them make me laugh.

kimbeerly
on 9/15/08 11:30 pm - TX
I have had my band for 5 years and I can tell you that it dida great job of getting rid of my heart burn.
It also apparently helped me sustain my weight for 5 years. I had not lost or gained a pound.
I am having a revision to RNY on October 15th.
I had a fill done to my band in January and the Dr apparently emptied it out as I have gained 20 lbs. My new Dr when trying to see how much was in it confirmed it was empty.

I would definately talk to a Dr that does all types of WLS, mine has done the sleev, RNY, DS, band and revisions so I feel that he can give better advice than my original Dr that only did bands (He is now selling health drinks on infomercials). My new Dr also said that a band is probably a better choice for someone that does not have as much weight to lose, where as more drastic surgery will be more successful for more overweight people.

Good Luck in whatever you choose.
Kim
keenergel
on 9/16/08 12:07 am - OH
My band screwed up my eating habits and failed miseraly.  I am finding things somewhat better with my VSG, but would have had the DS if ins. would have covered it.

PekinSal
on 9/16/08 1:39 am - UK
I've had the band. I've had the DS. DS wins every time.

Band relies a lot on luck and willpower. I had neither - I couldn't get the fill level right, I ate poorly, I can't diet. I got reflux, my pouch grew to overlap the band and stretched so far the band was useless. It was a 2 year struggle, and I lost a total of 30 pounds.

I've had the DS for five months, and you can see below what I've lost. I honestly love the DS - not dissing the RNY cos I've never had it, but the DS requires much less willpower than the band - you have to eat protein, which is cool if you like meat, and you can eat unlimited fat, so its butter with everything if you like it. Carbs you avoid cos they slow your weightloss but mainly because they make you fart!

If weigh****chers is 10/10 on the willpower scale, the band is a 7/10 and the DS is a 2/10. It has good stats for long term loss and total loss too. I chose it because it would cure my diabetes within hours, and it did.

Keep researching!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Ms Shell
on 9/16/08 5:17 am - Hawthorne, CA
I didn't hav ethe band but was heavily considering it until I heard about the Vertical Sleeve which is a restrictive only surgery.  I felt/feel that is all I need to win my battle with obesity.  I know quite a few revisions FROM LapBands so please think long and heard.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

NeedhamGal
on 9/16/08 10:58 am - MA
I had my band removed in July and a RNY performed. My band had a leak and I was done with the fills/unfills and the reflux at night.   I had insurance issues the 2nd time...and given the band and needing fills....and a now reported 13% longterm resurgery rate.....I would say unless you have endless money to have the band fixed if needed....go with the one single surgery--RnY,DS or sleeve.     Joan
brandyII
on 9/16/08 12:50 pm, edited 9/16/08 1:00 pm
I never did well on the band although I went in with positive expectations.  I never got the fill right and found that it was just as difficult trying to lose the weight with the band as it was without the band.   Not all people can do well with the band although I read many do.  Wi**** had been sucessful for me also but can't change the past.  I now have acid reflux and a small hernia and would like to get it removed and not revise to any other surgery as I don't want to take any more chances at another one failing.  My daughter on the other hand had the RNY and has been very successful.

I wish there was an easy way to make the decision or to look into a crystal ball to see what WLS is perfect for each individual then many of us wouldn't be having things removed or revised.  Good luck to you brandyII.
Most Active