Had upper GI saw acid reflux no band???

brandyII
on 9/15/08 12:09 pm
Hi was having chest pains and ruled out heart but today went for an upper GI and they saw I had acid reflux, which I suppose is causing the chest pain but couldn't find the band, anyone have this happen before?  Where's the band?  thanks brandyII
E. T
on 9/16/08 1:37 am - Manchester, NH

Yikes, call your surgeon.  In all the upper GI's I've had the band was very visable and I've had six thus far. 

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can; all of them make me laugh.

PekinSal
on 9/16/08 1:50 am - UK
Oo blimey, where were they looking then? Are you sure they were looking at your pictures and not someone elses?

I had reflux but never chest pain - only indigestion type and throat pains.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 9/16/08 2:23 am
They were looking for what was causing my chest pain and I told them that heart was ruled out and that the esophagus was the new target.  I just never had heartburn or the type of acid you actually get up to your throat so this was kind of new to me.  I've been told you don't have to feel the acid all the way up your throat to have an issue with it.

Normally when you get people looking at x-rays, it was a doctor, they don't tell you much but they didn't seem to have a problem so I was kind of glad but now I'm still waiting to hear what my surgeon says as it wasn't done at their office.  I don't know why we didn't see the band but I saw the port and tube, and I hope I don't have to go back to do it all over again!  thanks brandyII
brandyII
on 9/16/08 9:35 am
I got the report today and saw the pics and I think I could see my stomach and the band but the report said I had a hiatal hernia and esophageal reflux.  I seriously don't know how they could tell that but not see the band!  Do you think it's enough to have my band removed?  thanks brandyII
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 11:04 am - AZ
Not sure what the band would have to do with it.  Obesity is a huge cause of hiatal hernias and hiatal hernias cause reflux.  Fix the hernia and that will likely fix the reflux.

However, if you want the band removed it would be easy to do while repairing the hernia.

brandyII
on 9/20/08 7:35 am
My surgeon did no see a hiatal hernia so I suppose I only have reflux which is causing the pains that come and go.  I've never had it before and didn't know why I would now.  Thanks brandyII
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/08 10:11 pm - AZ
Lap bands often times cause reflux.

When people believe their band cured their reflux it is usually a matter of the HH was repaired during banding.  But there is another group that is growing and growing where the band caused reflux.

There is a newer study out that shows the relationship between reflux and banding, it was on the band boards in the last couple of weeks.

Most Active