One Wee****il My Surgery & Having Doubts...

MARCIAM
on 9/14/08 6:20 pm - Sayville, NY
Those of you who have been following my story know that I fought very hard to have my Lap Band taken out and now to finally have my revision to RNY. I am really having doubts tonight that I am doing the right thing... I had breathing problems from the anesthesia after my band removal and I am really worried that the same or worse will happen this time... I don't want to end up on a respirator or with other complications.  I am really starting to second guess myself. October 4th will be my 60th birthday.  Am I too old to start over again with a new WLS?

I guess I just need someone to tell me that I am not making the biggest mistake of my life...
Thanks,
Marcia

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Arizonadck
on 9/14/08 10:47 pm - Chicago, IL
Marcia - first, you owe it to yourself to have it done!  I don't think you're too old to try to start again - by having it could add years to your life!!!  We're never too old!  But I am concerned about the breathing problem you had from the anesthesia.  Instead of waiting until the day of surgery, wWhy don't you talk w/your doctor about your concerns and even ask the doctor for the anesthesiast's name/number and call him - have an in-depth conversation with him about why you had the breathing problems and what could be done to prevent it!  Keep us posted!  Take care!!
MARCIAM
on 9/15/08 2:17 am - Sayville, NY
Thank you. That's a very good suggestion.
RNY on 9/22/08

MARCIAM
on 9/15/08 3:39 pm - Sayville, NY
I spoke to the doctor today and I am much calmer than I was last night. I am also going to talk to the anesthesiologist before surgery.  Tomorrow is my pre-op testing and everything is back on track with me.  Thanks so much for your support.
RNY on 9/22/08

NeedhamGal
on 9/15/08 9:32 am - MA
Hi Marcia... if you are having doubts, why don't you simply put the surgery off for a while til you are truly ready.
Here's my bit for having the surgery....to me ..this surgery is life saving.  If the weight doesn't come off...we only have more complications. Our knees, our hips, bladder issues, heart issues and even breathing issues--all due to the excessive weight.  Some of the remedies of these problems are surgeries...hip surgery,knee surgery, coronary bypass......
So...wouldn't you rather have this surgery  on your own time schedule   and play the roulette wheel that you won't need one of the other surgeries?  
I will tell you that at 9 weeks out I am happy.  I was miserable when my band was out. I was hungry as a horse and I had gained weight.   I have lost a good amount of the weight I gained, and I feel physically as well as emotionally better.    I feel recharged to go the long haul!

Email me if you want. Joan ie
MARCIAM
on 9/15/08 3:42 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks very much!  I have put some weight on since my band was removed and I don't want to delay the surgery and watch the scale continue to go up.  Last night I was just having a little melt down but everything is better today. Thanks again!
RNY on 9/22/08

obrienbus18
on 9/15/08 9:40 am - Linwood, MA

Hi Marcia, Everyone second guesses why am I doing this? Talk to your anestegiologist about your concerns. I have not had any regrets, Well yes I have, I wish I had done Gastric bypass instead of lapband first!...Keep the faith...Best of luck...Debbie

MARCIAM
on 9/15/08 3:44 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks Debbie!  I am very sorry that I went with the band instead of Gastric Bypass from the beginning.  My husband had RNY 2 weeks before I was banded.  He is at goal and looks and feels wonderful.  Last night was just my time to second guess myself but I am sure that I am finally doing the right thing.
RNY on 9/22/08

obrienbus18
on 9/16/08 12:44 am - Linwood, MA
Your just being normal Marcia! I was second guessing myself as they were wheeling me down for surgery! I just kept saying "I can't beleive I'm doing this". Beleive it or not I found the second surgery easier. I think it was because I knew what to expect. The pain is the same as lap band surgery. The best part of the surgery is that you are ready to go as soon as they are done. No fills, No feeling hungry...Keep in touch...Debbie

Hondurian Queen
on 9/15/08 10:32 am - BOSTON, MA
HEY MARCIAM FIRST LET ME SAY THAT YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD TO HAVE THIS SURGERY YOU HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR IT AND I THINK YOU SHOULD DO IT WE ALL HAVE SOME FEAR BUT ASK QUESTIONS TELL YOUR SURGEON YOUR CONCERNS YOU ARENT THE FIRST TO HAVE CONCERNS AND WONT BE THE LAST WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE THE CHOICE IS YOURS BUT I HAVE FAITH THAT ALL WILL GO WELL

Most Active