StomaphyX or Gastric Bypass revision

goddesstre
on 9/14/08 3:48 pm - Harrisburg, PA
    I have been reading about the StomaphyX surgery, which is what I am leaning towards and wondered how I find an updated list of surgeons doing the procedure.  I am in Pennsylvania and do not see anyone listed.  I actually had my original surgery in 2004 in New Jersey, but I do not think that my Pa insurance will cover it if I goto NJ.  Any thoughts about this?  Also has anyone had this procedure done or the gastric bypass revision?  I am wondering about the recovery time for this surgery.

Thanks.
pepsi98
on 9/14/08 8:32 pm - Norwich, CT
Please, before you decide on Stomaphyx, go through several months of old posts.  There you will see various posts of people who have had firat hand experience with it, myself included.  I initially lost 17 lbs on the pre/post op diet and promptly gained it all back plus MORE.  I am not the only one, believe me.  I had to pay $10,500 out of pocket and am now in the process of appealing the insurance company's denial of a lap band over my old stapling.

Go back on this forum and READ everything even remotely sounding like Stomaphyx first...at least then you can make an informed decision.

Good Luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 6:26 am - Brunswick, ME
I had the same exact experience. I had the Stomaphyx last December, lost 11 pounds during the post op diet, and have gained that back plus. There was no restiction at all after the procedure, none! I was lucky that my insurance paid for it. I can't imagine how I would fee if I had paid out of pocket. I will be having a revision from a faux (common channel too long) DS to a real DS in November. I wish you all the best.

Angie
sbghost
on 11/30/08 7:42 am - Norwich, CT
I was just wondering where you found a doctor to perform the lapband over gastric procedure. I was looking into that and just can't find anything even remotely close to home.

PS- Nice to see a fellow member of the Rose City!! Wish there wasn't so much good eats out here- I wouldn't have nearly as much to resist!

:)
Thanks a million!
KRWaters
on 9/15/08 11:18 am - Manteca, CA
Another thought, why not check out the DS board. So many are going that route who need a "revision" from anything they had previous. As the other poster said, she had to pay out of pocket for the stomaphyx as most insurance companies, if any, are not paying for it. With the DS, most insurance do cover it now, no longer considered an experimental surgery, done for 20 years. There are a few hard-nosed insurance companies that will not cover it, but will cover the lapband or Rny. In that case, you must appeal and if any WLS is covered, so is the DS. Come on over to our DS board and find out what all the ruckus is about.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

-Butterfly-
on 9/16/08 1:51 am
\ would suggest checking out Endoscopic Sclerotherapy procedure, if your really wanting a non-surgical option.  So far I have had amazing results!  I seriously don't eat as much or as often as I did prior to my procedure.  I am thrilled!  I've lost weight, though I won't know how much until I see my doc very soon.

My surgeon says that the Stomaphyx doesn't have a very good success rate. He doesn't even do the procedure because of the lack of success!  The Endoscopic Sclerotherapy is in a way the same thing, EXCEPT, there is no cutting or sewing fold like things in your stomach.  They fix your stoma which helps to keep you full longer, thus reducing your caloric intake! At this point, at lease for me, its been awesome.  I definitely see and feel a difference!

Good luck with whatever you decide
Keria
 ~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs
Back up to 400 lbs - 2008

Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part one - 9/2/08
Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part two - 10/10/08
mipo1
on 9/16/08 5:21 am - Lowell, MA
I recently overheard a surgeon with extensive experience in clinical trials of these procedures and he made the coment that StomaphyX was a useless procedure and that the materials didn't hold.
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/08 10:19 pm - TX
I chose the DS for my revision.  I'd already been the RNY route and it failed me.  I read here on the revision board and virtually never saw a DS'r who was looking to get their surgery revised.  That alone told me all I really needed to know.  Then I read at the DS board and saw so many happy posts of people who loved their DS.  Now, 2 years out I'm one of those happy, happy people.
markys mama
on 10/5/08 3:02 am - independence, CA
sorry to hijack but i am looking into ds also and i was just wondering how did you go about contacted the doc to do it  ? also was it a battle to get a revision trough your insurance I have no complications that caused my failing at RNY that i know of  and i have gained back 60 or so lbs i am trying to get it back off but nothing. highest 398 lowest about 215 -220 I never got to goal not even close and now well i cant seem to get any off. just wanted your experience. thanks faith
1 hour bf RNY 398
before Baby 220
goal 160
current 285
need to lose 129  chocolate
goddesstre
on 9/17/08 11:56 pm - Harrisburg, PA
  Sorry but what is DS???? 
Most Active