New Member Introduction

cederbej
on 9/13/08 2:23 am - Charlton, MA

Good morning everyone….I am new to the list so forgive me if I babble on.  My name is Jenn and I live and work in Central MA.  I had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago (in 9/99) with Dr. Bruce Thayer at Newton Wellesley Hospital (now retired).  I recently learned through a visit with Dr. Sheila Partridge that I have a “mechanical failure”: a gasogastric fistula.  I had been neglectful about going to the program for yearly follow ups.  In fact, I hadn’t been there for 6 years.  I had a weight gain of around 50 lbs. within the past couple of years so I decided, on a whim really, to see if it could be attributed to the bypass or was it just that I liked ice cream and hated exercise J.  I’m scheduled for a gastric bypass revision on 10/30 and I’m a wreck.  There is a higher complication rate, it is a more difficult surgery, I don’t know this surgeon from Adam and I’m afraid that it is going to fail again.  At my initial surgery, I weighed 260, I went as low as 134 but pretty much stayed around 150, and now I’m back to 190.

I’d really love to hear from anyone else who has had this complication or for people with experience with Dr. Partridge.  I can’t believe I have to go through all of this again.  I feel like a failure though they can’t exactly pinpoint why I have this fistula. 

Thanks for listening,
Jenn

turtle829
on 9/13/08 1:39 pm
Revision on 08/04/15
my fistula was caused by gastric banding being placed to small... I ran into vomiting issues shortly after my surgery in 2002... my surgeon, at the time, initially stated it was because I was healing... then 9 months out told me nothing was wrong... and it was my fault... so I felt like a failure and lived with constant throwing up fo 6 years... until this March when I spoke to a gastoenterologist about my daily vomiting.  He told me that I surely had damaged my esphagus... so he scoped it and dound a double fistula... it was bad... within 21 days I was approved for a revision because of the fistula.   I told my new surgeon that I did want a revision.. that I had had numersous health issues since my gastric banding... etc... he said he could not fix the fistula only... due to the alteration of my anatomy with the banding... so he had to do a RNY...  I refused it in the beginning.. but he said I did not have a choice.. .the damage to my esohpagus would get worse... and promised me that I would not have problems with the RNY ...  he said the only reason I had problems to begin with was that my first surgery was wrong on day one...

I love my new surgeon... and am so glad that I had my procedure..   the esophagus was really badly damaged... so in its healing process I developed 2 strictures... we are working on them... one is opened now and we are working on the other...  their is light at the end of the tunnel... and counting my pre-op weight loss and post-op... even with my complications... I am down 70 lbs.... I will take it and run...

best wishes to you
Vicki
Most Active