Lap band after RNY

Polly29
on 9/12/08 3:05 am - Ireland
I had a RNY in Jan 07 and lost 70ibs in the first 6 months and stayed static after that, I have gained back about 10ils in the last few weeks I can't seem to stop eating.  My Surgeon has suggested putting a band over the RNY.  If any of you have had this done can you tell me how did the procedure work? How long were you in hospital for? What was the recovery like?
Also can you eat sweet things I can at the moment and I don’t want to continue like this.  I am really worried that it will only make a short-term difference?
Thanks for your help
Polly 
charleston-mom
on 9/12/08 6:23 am, edited 9/12/08 6:25 am
Putting a band over your RNY will not do anything to your ability to eat sweets. If you can eat them now, you will be able to eat them then. Maybe some counseling? I don't think the band is going to help if the problem is sweets to be honest. It may actually make things worse in that people with the band often have a hard time with the kinds of foods you actually need to be eating. (I know - I had a band before my RNY). I think it may help you, but unless there is actually something wrong with your RNY, it probably won't. Sounds like the problem is what you are eating and that's more in your head than any surgery is going to be able to help you with. Your surgery will probably still work for you if you can get a handle on the head issues. I'd try to get some counseling. All the surgery in the world isn't going to help if you keep eating the wrong things, especially sweets. The band doesn't do anything for that unfortunately.

I know how hard it is. It's a constant day-to-day struggle for the rest of our lives. I think the changing the eating habits for the rest of our lives is probably the hardest thing we will ever do.
Most Active