Revision on my revision

Cathy A.
on 9/11/08 12:36 am - Modesto, CA
I had RNY in 2002, Stoma end up to be to big  after several years so I had a lap band added in Oct of 2006. No almost 2 years later I have a leak and have to have surgery again on Oct 8. I am feeling scared and could use some input.
PekinSal
on 9/11/08 8:01 pm - UK
Aww Cathy that sounds hard luck!

Where is the problem - your pouch or your band, did they tell you? I've heard of bands doing weird things (ports flipping, bits coming undone etc) and usually they are quite simple to fix in surgery terms.

Sending you hugs anyway and hoping they get you fixed up like new

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Cathy A.
on 9/19/08 12:16 am - Modesto, CA
The Dr thinks it is in the port. I knew something was wrong because I had a good fill and then there was nothing. when I went for a fill the fluid would not stay in the bad. Dr said I had a leak and we started the process for the repair. I don't think the Dr will really know until he gets in there and checks things out. He is a best of the best Dr and I know he will take care of me.
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/08 10:45 am - AZ
On September 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM Pacific Time, Cathy A. wrote:
The Dr thinks it is in the port. I knew something was wrong because I had a good fill and then there was nothing. when I went for a fill the fluid would not stay in the bad. Dr said I had a leak and we started the process for the repair. I don't think the Dr will really know until he gets in there and checks things out. He is a best of the best Dr and I know he will take care of me.
The only way to know for sure if it is a leak in your port is to look at it under fluoro using contrast.  That will likely show exactly where the leak is.

If it is just in your port then it can be done in the office under a local for very little money.  If it is in the tubing then your doc poked a hole in it during a fill.  If it is in the band itself than the band manufacturer needs to replace it and pay the costs.

I'll bet a dollar he poked a hole during a fill since you had restriction previously.  It should be up to your doc to pay the bills on this one if that is the case.

eilwene
on 9/15/08 4:28 pm
Hello, my name is Jennifer.  I had a RNY in 2001.  Lost and kept off 120 lbs but never was able to get to my goal weight.  Still have at least another 100 lbs to lose.  (Weight prior to RNY 426.)  Am currently fighting hunger constantly and my weight is creeping up.  I am considering getting a lap band to help control my hunger and limit my ability to consume mass quantities of food which I have been able to do since the third month after my RNY.  Doc says my stoma was made too large. 

Would you do the band again after the RNY?  Was it helpful?  What is the source of your leak?

I wish you all the best as waiting to have surgery is a scary place to be.  Just hope you will be open to help someone who is considering following you in the revision to a lap band.

I would love some helpful advice.

Thanks,

Jennifer
Cathy A.
on 9/19/08 12:30 am - Modesto, CA
Hi Jennifer, I do think I would do the band again. When it is working it is absolutely fantastic. I was able to eat small portions and stay full for hours. I had the same issues as you. My pouch was still small but the stoma was stretched and the food went right through. I was hungry all the time about thirty minutes after eating, it was awful. I am right there again and it stinks. I have lost 67 pounds with the band and I am 25 pounds below what I lost with the RNY. Most people don't have trouble with there band. so even with the trouble I have had I still would do it again. Get a band Dr that is close to you if you can. Mine is one and a half hour away and that stopped me from getting fills like I should making my progress slower. The part I like about the band is that it is ajustable and can be fixed. I do feel that I will be able to get all my weight off. I plan on losing another 25 pounds getting me to 200 and then having plastic surgery next summer and I will be great.
Most Active