Still unsure

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 9/10/08 12:33 pm - Miami, FL
Tomorrow I have an appointment to meet with the doctor mentioned previously - regarding RnY.  However, I'm still having reservations regarding this particular procedure.  Now the question remains, should I keep my previous appt. with the dr that did the band - he's cool but the office staff . Or should I make plans to meet with a different surgeon regarding the sleeve?  Please help put my mind at ease while I for guidance.
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

ShielaC.
on 9/10/08 1:13 pm
 If I were you, I'd look into the sleeve (VSG) - check out their forum.  Also, the DS.  Once you have the RNY, it is doubtful you can get a true  sleeve or the DS without risky surgery, so be sure thr RNY what you want.   Many people have trouble with regain after they are a few years out from the RNY and it happen's less with the DS or sleeve.  Some folks have had there sleeves done in Mexico.   Ask MidwesternGirl who seems to know a lot about it.  Good luck whatever you chose.
KCameron
on 9/10/08 3:07 pm - Radcliff, KY
I looked at your profile, but it didn't give any insight. What has happened with your lapband?  Did you lose, then gain? If restriction only is what you need, then the sleeve would be better than rny.
No sense in having malabsorption if you don't need that aspect. You could have the intestine bypass portion later after a sleeve making it into a DS, if you needed to add malabsorption.
You can meet with the sleeve surgeon to be well-informed and get all of the information.
Sort of like an interview, you don't have to commit to anything.
Do your research. Take your time with making your decision.
Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/08 8:05 pm - AZ
I had a band and revised to a sleeve 3 months ago and honestly, this surgery is fantastic.  Life today with a sleeve is *exactly* like life before I ever had any surgery but I just get full very quickly.  There is no aftercare with a sleeve.  No fills, unfills, fluoro exams, etc. such as with a band and there are no supplements and labs to make sure you are taking enough supplements as in RNY.  The long term weight loss (5 years) with the sleeve is about the same as RNY according to the latest studies.  The sleeved stomach is much more forgiving than the bypassed pouch, once you stretch out the bypassed pouch you are toast, there is nothing to fix it except another band over bypass.  The sleeved stomach doesn't really stretch due to the section saved during surgery.

If you have insurance stay in the US, if you don't go to Mexico.  Don't let a lack of education about countries outside the US stop you from saving a ton of money.  Most people tend to get their education regarding countries outside of the US from documentaries designed to get ratings.  God forbid people pick up a book and learn something or research.  (Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine)  These are people that would rather go to a really crappy yet cheap doctor in the US vs. going to a skilled surgeon in MX when they are on a budget.  There is one doctor in the US that is just horrible, bad stats, he's inexperienced, he flat out admits that people don't go to him because of his reputation but instead because he's cheap, he has a horrific bedside manner, he laughs about his death stats yet people will go to him instead of a skilled surgeon in MX.  They are stupid enough to believe that if it is done in the US that means the doctor is excellent.

So do what is right for you but I'd look at a sleeve without a doubt.  I certainly would not base my surgery type of the creepy office staff of any doctor.

PekinSal
on 9/11/08 7:46 pm - UK
My band doctor was cool too. Cool but clueless about anything but the band. I went to a new doctor that does band, RNY, DS and revisions, so at least he'd know what he was talking about.

I told him I wanted DS. He said that would be good, since restriction from the band hadn't been enough (and sleeve wouldn't be enough) - for some people their weight is a metabolic thing, and we can stay fat from eating only small amounts of food. The other option was ERNY to get the malabsorbtion from that, but in technical terms they aren't much different for a surgeon, so he said he may as well do DS. 

You're already a revision. Think very hard about what you think will work for you, what you can live with (I like being able to graze, I like eating butter, the threat of wind keeps me off carbs for example) and how much willpower you have. I'm a total failure at diets, so I chose the hardest surgery for the easiest life. You might be a better person than me and do well with just a sleeve or the restriction of the RNY. But you don't want to be a revision again in two years time.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active