I was told one thing and had another thing done

Msdragonz
on 9/10/08 1:58 am - NEPA, PA
So I spoke to the "other" surgeon whom I was contemplating last night about a revision to DS. He was very personable and told me some things about my original surgeon that I was unaware of....1st being that the surgeon this original dctr did was not a true RNY. (even though he told me it would be and even drew me a diagram!) Basically what this dctr was doing at the time was what I guess was/is call a mini gastric bypass. He made my stomach smaller and then just looped the intestine up to the pouch so he wouldn't have to do a real bypass. The dctr I spoke with today said unfortunately what I had was a "sham" operation.  He told me that any revision in there was going to be a huge job and that he doubted that the pouch could be taken down based on his experience with this particular dctrs work. He didn't say that he "wouldn't" take my case though. I asked him about doing an eRNY, or a distal and he gave me a couple of things to try first. The ole standard cottage cheese test and also speak to a nutritionist as well. He said to use surgery as a last resort. (Which I already knew) He did say he would look at the original note, plus the EGD and upper GI notes as well if I had them forwarded to him. So that's an option to contemplate.
The other thing I did this morning was call the surgeons office that I am currently working with to see if he would consider doing the eRNy or a more distal rny. (This was before the above dctr called me back) His nurse said I'd have to make an appt to discuss it with him. I asked her to find out if he even does those versions, and if he did I would be happy to make another 2 hrs trip to see him. (I didn't want to drive 2 hrs to hear him say he did not-it wouldn't make sense)
So here's where I am at right now: Waiting for Dr Davidsons office to call me back on the erny, distal surgery. Only now I have more information that I believe should be passed along to him from Dr P. about my original surgery. Dr Davidson is only going by the surgery notes and Dr P. said he doesn't know what he is in for when he gets inside me. Those note state that the original surgery consisted of making a 65cc pouch and bypassin 40cm of intestine. period.
So what do I do? I mean I believe that by reading the original notes he would know where to go from there-right? Well, I'll just have to relay the info and let him decide if it's something to consider different from the notes he has.
The only other thing I am worried about is the insurance. I called them back again and they repeated what I already knew- FEPBLUE covers revisions on a case by case basis, based on the surgery notes to decide if it's medically necessary. Or should I say "was necessary". They don't do pre approvals-period.
So here I am, on this crazy clown car ride trying to remain calm and focused when all I want to do is scream H-A-Y-E-L-P!!!
Encouraging replies would be appreciated.
Thanks for listening to my venting,
Robin
ginau
on 9/10/08 2:57 am - mesa, AZ
Robin

This is my opinion  and you know what they say about them.

I would get copies of my tests  and go Dr shopping talking to as many as you can .  learn as much as you can, learn what options you have  and then make your best decission, make sure to talk to other revision patients   d.s.'ers, erny'ers , band over pouch  etc...  the more you know the better you will feel about your decission.   

Good Luck and keep us posted.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Msdragonz
on 9/10/08 3:36 am - NEPA, PA
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been scooting around the boards like a real idiot. I do need to get my head together and do better research. I thought that the revision was going to be like 1-2-3 and all done. What I didn't do was a reality check..lol. Instead of running around, grabbing a fact here and there, I'm going to do a more complete research on each thing and then calmly decide where to go from there. I guess I just went into panic mode there...
Anyways..I'm praying about it and I'll post more if I have anything new.
Thanks again for listening to this goofy gal..lol
Robin
ginau
on 9/10/08 5:43 am - mesa, AZ
Robin

Your not goofy -  we all need to  know about what issue's we have , could have and will have ..  Being a revised Rny now an Extended Rny -  I have a few of my own - But unlike before I know I have a great Dr who is willing to help me through.

I dont like how your Dr discounted your previous surgeon,  and I wonder if  he has what I call  Doctoritious  or he really had all your medical test to be able to discredit your surgery. You need a Dr who is willing  to work with you.& the situation.

Panic mode can be good !! gets you moving in right path .....  just back track to gather up  some addit info and recheck the map of where you would like to end up.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Msdragonz
on 9/10/08 5:55 am - NEPA, PA
I kinda had a nagging feeling about the way he talked about my prior surgeon. He started out speaking about how he wasn't knocking my first surgeon, by the end he was kind of emotionally invested in the conversation. It's hard to gauge people sometimes-not everyone is on the same page as we are and unfortunately they do not always have our best interest at heart. You'd think at 43 I'd know this, but I expect people to be the way I'd like them to be..LOL..not a reality though..:)
For today I am taking a break from digging online, coloring my hair burgandy (nothing picks me up like a new hair-do) and heading off to a meeting. I've been on overload for a few days.
Thanks again for being here:)
L&L,
Robin
Most Active