common channel

weightwatcher07
on 9/8/08 11:03 pm - Dallas, TX
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a shoter common channel after a rny revision?
AphY Girl
on 9/9/08 12:09 am
Advantage: Less absorbtion
Disadvantage: Quicker digestion (have fast onsets of running to the potty)
ginau
on 9/9/08 1:08 am - mesa, AZ

So would you like a honest answer or a Fudged answer?

Advantage: WEIGHT LOSS due to less absorption, more attention from others ( this could be bad) 

Disadvantage :  depends on you and your body ! faster processing of food  CAN result in  gas, bloating, diarreha, blood sugar drops,oily stools, decrease in checkbook due to increased shopping for clothes that fit !

OK  so you got my experience answers , I will tell you the  restroom issue's  get better in time !  The weightloss continues - as long as I stay away from white carbs   as JRinAz  told me the other day - If god didnt grow it - dont eat it .

I am happy this is the path I choose . It's not for everyone.  The better your attitude and willing to work with your Dr's - the better  you will be.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Arizonadck
on 9/9/08 4:25 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Jeanna,

How are you?  I like the decrease in checkbook!  That's an advantage!!  Are there certain foods that make it worse?  If so, what foods are they - are there any you have to completely stay away from? 
JRinAZ
on 9/9/08 4:52 am - Layton, UT
Hey there....I'm NOT Jeanna (she rocks!) but will shoot out my .02

The advantage of the ERny (shortened common channel) is that you can really eat ANYTHING and still lose weight (at least in the honeymoon phase)......Protein and fats are malapsorbed....

BUT...if you care about those around you and don't like your tummy distended like impending birth will be happening any minute, then stay away from processed carbs, sugar, dairy, anything that ends in an "ose or tol" as in suctrose, sorbitol, etc.

Good for you foods would be:  healthy fats/oil, all varieties of protein sources and FIBER......No need to live Atkins but select low glycemic fruits and veggies....low carb lifestyle.

The very fabulous "Vitalady, aka Mom" gets the majority of her protein from drinks and then fills her oral fixation with healthy veggies.  She does very little fruit as it sets of the carb monster for her....and most.  She's been a teeny tiny gal for over 10 years post-op so I'd say there's some magic in her formula:-)

....I'm on track for 3 days of doin it the Vitalady way.....added walking finally a couple of weeks ago and am determined to learn how to maintain a goal weight for once in my life!!!

.....sorry for the babbly .02 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 9/9/08 10:16 am - mesa, AZ
Miss Joyce - you are so wrong!!      I LOVE YOUR .02 ( 2 cents )  

I am learning all about the carb monster in me.  If God didnt grow it - I should not be eating it !!!  Your words are sticking in my head !  It's a bear trying to eliminate the processed stuff.  But I wanna make the most of 2nd chance.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Arizonadck
on 9/10/08 11:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Joyce!  How are you!  Thanks for your informative response - it wasn't babbly by any means!  I so want to make sure I do everything correctly this 2nd time around!  And part of that is getting in the proper mind mode!  I'm definitely going to get in touch w/Vitalady to get my vitamin regimen in order for right after surgery.  I love fruits and veggies - so after the ERNY I shouldn't eat them - are there certain ones that are ok?  Also, I love cheese - I always eat the low fat/fat free.  It's going to be hard giving them up. Fiber - right now I eat high fiber breads and cereals - are even these high fiber no-no's?  Jeanna has given me ideas for protein shakes - so I'll make sure I get in my 100g (?) per day.  I  have no problem w/sugar - my weakness has always been pretzels, nuts, chips - crunchy foods - I know I will have to give them all up.  I just want to get an idea of what my daily diet will be like from the post-op recovery forward - for the rest of my life.  I just can't screw it up - can't fail!  Thanks a lot!  Carolyn
JRinAZ
on 9/11/08 4:31 am - Layton, UT

Ahhhh Carolyn sweetie pie!  Your revision is NOT a death sentence but rather a ticket to a better quality of life!!!  Your commitment to be compliant and make the revision work it's magic is fabulous!!!!  But, the things you've listed to "give up" aren't necessarily things that need to be gone forever.

Certainly when you are in that "charge ahead and lose the most" stage then you should try and stay on a low carb (not NO carb) food plan.  The lowfat/fat free won't matter......your shortened common channel will love the "fats" as it helps things slide right into the flusher!!!  LOL!  You will malabsorb fat!  You CAN have fruits and veggies....just google the "glycemic index guide" and circle all those things that are LOW glycemic.  Fiber is good!  In fact, when the potty moments are pure liquid; the fiber helps spongue things up and gets things a bit more normal.

You'll probably want to shoot for over 100 grams of protein and even over 120 grams until you've completely healed.  Just stay in close touch with your doc's program and you'll melt away in no time!  LOL! .... As for the crunchy stuff....there's lots of crunchies that can be subbed.  Try nuking turkey pepperoni to make zippy little crispy chips (youj'll luv em!)....nuke some cheese on a waxy dessert size paper plate and peel off for a very crunch protein crisp, soy nuts, soy chips, use crushed nuts as breading for fish and a little crunch, eat nuts.....I think you'll find that an ERny post-op diet is very forgiving as long as you stay focused on proteins and low carbs.  Calories are not really an issue unless you're getting them in processed carbs, through sugars, etc...those calories are totally ABSORBED!!!

I'm working on a ERny forum of our own so we can chat "shop" openly.  I'll let you know when it's ready set!

I'm VERY excited for you!  You are going to LOVE Dr. S and LOVE your ERny results!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Arizonadck
on 9/11/08 6:57 am - Chicago, IL
Joyce - you're an angel!  Thanks for all the hints at making this work!  The little snacks sound great as well!  I can't wait to have an ERNY forum - yes, please let me know!  I can't wait to meet Dr. S - I feel like I know him already (mainly from you and Jeanna).  Thank you - I'll try not to think of it as a "death sentence" - I really am psyched - I will do whatever will make it work!  Have a great day!  Carolyn
weightwatcher07
on 9/9/08 4:54 am - Dallas, TX
i had my revision on 8/12/08 and now i am really best friends with the rest room and i am wondering whats going to happen when i go back to work!!! Dr Barker stated my pouch was fine he only shortened my common channel.
Most Active