RNY vs Sleeve

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 9/8/08 9:46 am - Miami, FL
I am considering a revision from the band. Initially I wanted the sleeve but my previous dr. office claimed that my insurance wouldn't cover it - although a friend (who works for the same district) had this procedure just a month later by the same dr. 

With nearly 2 yrs. out and having lost less than 40 lbs., I am debating which surgery would be best.  I have to admit the thought of having my plumbing rerouted makes me nervous, but after talking with the wls coordinator for a well known doctor in the area, I am really considering RnY.  My sister, who had RnY with complications just two days later, said she would do it all over again  in a heartbeat.  I've also spoken others who have had RnY and said that they had no complications and would also do it all over.

I know that all wls are tools, but the band has left me feeling somewhat of a failure
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

piscesbandster
on 9/8/08 9:57 am - New York, NY
VSG on 08/18/08 with
Cmon over to the VSG board. Lots of us former Bandsters there! i had 2 Bands (in profile) and am 3 weeks out from VSG. The stats are the same as RNY with no intestinal bypass.
Don't feel like a failure. All surgeries do not work for all people. For me, the mechanics of the Band are what didnt work, I was following all the rules.
Your comparison question has been asked several times in the past week. Either search or report! See you on the VSG board!

babsintx
on 9/8/08 10:56 am - GA
Hi,

I am a band to sleeve revision.

The type of revision you should consider should be based on whether or not you were successful with a solely restrictive procedure or whether your lack of success with the band was due to product failure or some other band related complication.

In my case I chose to revise to sleeve due to long term complications after 5 years with a band. Before the complications, I was able to lose 150 pounds with solely restriction. Thus when it came time to make a decision about revision, my surgeon and I rationalized that I would be just as successful with the sleeve and did not need malabsorption.

Babs

PekinSal
on 9/9/08 7:13 am - UK
Ooo add the DS to your list of confusing options then!

This is another surgery to investigate, with more replumbing than the RNY, and the sleeve included in the deal too.

Its working for me, I love it. Stop feeling a failure now, thats an order. No room for misplaced guilt on this board - your surgery wasn't right for you, move on now and think positive!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/08 2:14 pm - AZ

OMZ NOOOO!  You are not a failure, the band is a failure.

VSG all the way.  40# will be fairly easy to lose with a sleeve.

The band is not a failure on your part, the advertising rocks.  The band sucks.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/08 2:18 pm - AZ
BTW....

A study on RNY weight loss vs. sleeve weight loss:

www.ssat.com/cgi-bin/abstracts/08ddw/O4.cgi

VSG... all the benefits without all the risks and weight regain.

Most Active