United Health Care PPO experience?

Ca_girl
on 9/6/08 8:59 am - McKinney, TX
Looking to get a revision from the Lap Band to VSG... I have United Health Care PPO - which has been great...as I understand it my husbands company has an awesome plan that includes WLS.

UHC DID NOT pay for my lap band, I got that through another insurance company. 

Your experience with UHC?

mrsedaddy
on 9/6/08 9:07 am - Spring, TX
I think I may have replied to your other post?  Maybe not.  I have UHC Premium PPO through my employer, which is a medical school.  I called them yesterday and gave them the codes for the DS, Bypass and Sleeve.  They will cover all of them if your BMI is considered MO.  I have a band and they say they will cover revisions.  I had UHC through my previous employer and they didn't cover WLS - it was "excluded."  So far, no complaints, and I know a lot of people at my college have had WLS.  One of my co-woker's wife had the band done in May.  I'd get the codes and call. 

Good luck :)
skinny_cyndi
on 9/6/08 11:59 am - Mahwah, NJ
I have UHC PPO through my husband. I don't know specifics but the revision to my RNY was approved within 24 hours due to mechanical failure, I had it done lap about a month or so later. I am doing much better now and back down to a weight I am comfortable with. I wish you luck on your journey!
blkdiamondgirl
on 9/6/08 2:21 pm - HOUSTON, TX
let me start off by saying Hello.. well how long did you have the lapband before you changed to RNY...
pokerchips
on 10/11/08 2:37 pm
Did you have to have the 6 months diet history before UHC insurance approval for your revision and what was the mechanical failure?I'm hoping to be approved for a revision I have had an upper GI, endoscope & colonoscopy and I see the surgeon next week to see if he will agree to doing an RNY revision.
candmsh
on 9/6/08 2:38 pm - great falls, MT
My husbands insurance is united health care ppo and they covered exactly what they said they would cover. It was so easy, I guess I have been told I am the lucky one. I know where I live people have had issues, but I don't know if it is the ppo part of it.
skinny_cyndi
on 9/6/08 8:54 pm - Mahwah, NJ
I originally had RNY in 1999 done open, when i was talking about my revision I meant that the revision to my RNY was done laproscopically and not open like the first one. I had my RNY for almost 6 years and no regain before I started having any issues. But I am much better now. Everybody's coverage is different so even if it's the same company someone else on the boards has, I would still call your company as what guides your decisions. Good Luck!
skinny_cyndi
on 10/12/08 3:59 am - Mahwah, NJ
i did not need any documentation or six month diet other than the letter my surgeon wrote to the insurance company based on medical necessity
Most Active