Any RnY folks who had an RnY revision?

dsnydi
on 9/3/08 4:14 am
Hello ~

I am planning to have my RnY revision in a year (I need to have this baby first) and I was wondering if anyone out there has done the same.

If you have had an RnY revision please let me know about your experience the second time around. 

DSrs, I'm not interested in your replies as I have zero interest in a DS revision. 

Thanks!

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

ginau
on 9/3/08 4:49 am - mesa, AZ
There are a few of us in Az  who have been through the revision process.  What would you like to know?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

dsnydi
on 9/3/08 4:54 am
I would like to know how the weight loss was the second time around as well as the recovery.

I had an open RnY the first time so I'm guessing that recovery from a lap is much faster and hopefully less painful.

Anything else you think would be good to know is always welcome!

Thanks so much!
Di
ginau
on 9/3/08 5:21 am - mesa, AZ
OOOps

My revision was done " OPEN "  and my original was done lap.  I wouldnt have it any other way. Why are you having a revision?

Mine was to shorten the common channel and create more malaborption.  Recovery for me was pretty good . pain for a few days ,  back to work in 4-6 weeks in most cases , Lost  about 25 lbs in 1st month ... loss is a little  slower .. but not too bad !   I have had other issue that come along with  a very short common channel - So I guess it all depends on what your having done .

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

dsnydi
on 9/3/08 5:28 am
My stoma is the size of a quarter instead of a dime.  I also have a goofy thing going on with a part of my insestine.  Basically I'll be totally rewired.  My current pouch is horizontal and my new one will be vertical.

I had my open RnY in 1999.  I know my revision will be done via lap as I've already seen the surgeon and discussed it with him.

I was hoping to be back to work in 4-5 weeks.  For my open it was 7 weeks and honestly I  should have waited 8. 
ginau
on 9/3/08 6:50 am - mesa, AZ
Every Dr is differant , I am glad mine was done open , My first was lap and they hardly bypassed anything, Dr S was actually able to see everything and do a major clean up ..  He didnt want to touch my pouch due to  greater risk of infection ...  and  time consuming when  mal absoption is the key to weightloss .  But every surgeon has their own opinion .

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

Momto2blessings
on 9/4/08 2:08 pm - Atlanta, GA
What type of revision did you have and i have heard the revisions are very risky. Is there a higher risk for certain people or issues and is there anything that can be done before hand to make things more safe.  Also, did your insurance approve and reasoning that they gave..

thanks,
Renee
ginau
on 9/4/08 2:36 pm - mesa, AZ
Mine was to shorten the common channel and create more malaborption.  Recovery for me was pretty good . pain for a few days ,  My common channel is now 75cm .  Nothing was done to my pouch. Yes my stoma is open  more than it should be - BUT having more mal absorption is the key.  My only issue right now is adding a few vitamins.

Revisions can be tricky - you should discuss them in length with your Surgeon.  I am very happy mine did not touch my pouch - less chance of infection and complications. Also  by doing an Open procedure - he was able to clean up some scar tissue, hernia's  and check for bowel obstructions that would not be seen  yet ..  Yes it is a longer recovery time - but well worth it ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

me5150dispatcher
on 9/4/08 1:14 pm - Hollister, CA
I had the RNY via lap in 2005 and no matter what I've done, diet and exercise, I'm gaining it back. I'm hoping to have revision but don't know which one to do. I contacted insurance and as long as I get the pre cert I'm covered. "whew!"

I didn't have any complications with the previous surgery. Can anyone give me any experiences with a revision done with RNY? Just trying to weigh the options.

Thanks
szlol
on 9/7/08 11:28 am - randolph, MA
I am in the same situation - three years after surgery.  The rose procedure seems to be the popular revision right now and my physician says it is quite successful but there have been some instances of it failing long term.  He said there is a new way of doing the rose procedure using a special piece of equipment which has even better long-term results but the machine is rotating around the country and the waiting time is long.
Most Active