tightening pouch via endoscopy??

sweetchef
on 9/2/08 7:16 am - West warwick, RI
So, I just called a doc for a revision.  Was asking about a lap band over my old RNY.  The office manager said why have that when you can just have an endoscopy and have it tightened at the same time.  She said its non invasive, and she doubts anyone will put a band over my RNY.  I have a consult on Thursday, any input?  I thought a band over RNY was commonplace now? Am I wrong?  HELP HELP HELP---!!!
pepsi98
on 9/2/08 7:44 am - Norwich, CT
Don't let anyone talk you into an "endoscopic revision" because that means either Stomaphyx or Restore and neither have had a lot of promising results.  They DO put bands over bypasses.  If you look throught old posts you'll see that people have had it done.  I was denied a band over my old stapling, but I am appealing it through ObesityLaw, and hope and pray that I get approved in the end.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

sweetchef
on 9/2/08 8:22 am - West warwick, RI
I guess then my issue is finding a doc here in the northeast  that is open to doing that. Any suggestions?  I called DR. Lautz and that was his office manager who suggested the endoscopic revision. HELP! 
pepsi98
on 9/2/08 10:12 am - Norwich, CT
I am going up to Tufts Medical Center in Boston and my MD is Scott Shikora.  He was not my original surgeon (original surgery in 1982) but he was recommended by a friend who is a bariatric dietician and had worked with him.  Another thing...ask to speak with the doctor and not the office manager!!  Often the doctor doesn't always know what all of his people are saying to patients, so never take the word of an office manager who may not even be a medical professional.

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

sweetchef
on 9/2/08 9:30 pm - West warwick, RI
Thanks- I actually called their office yetsreday but then visited their website and saw they did the stomaphyx and thought maybe that was what they offered for  a revision so didnt follow up.  'll Look back into it.  Thanks again!
Arlene G.
on 9/3/08 4:08 am - Flushing, NY
Dr Shawn Garber in NY also does revision surgery and it is not limited to Stomaphyx.  I am just finishing my round of consults for my revision which will be the band over my RNY pouch.  Dr Garber is an excellent surgeon and has a great office staff.

Arlene
NeedhamGal
on 9/3/08 4:27 am - MA

Stick with Doc Lautz.   They go down your throat and they actually tighten up the stoma via the endoscopic procedure.    THis is new and exclusive to the Northeast.  You are not being mislead by Doc Lautz and their office.
In fact...they received FDA approval to do 20 RNY surgeries endoscopically...to see how they perform.     You are at a cutting edge place with Brigham.

sweetchef
on 9/3/08 4:47 am - West warwick, RI
Thanks for the info.  I am anxious to meet with Dr. Lautz and will post again on Friday after my consult.  I hope this turns out to be as good as it sounds, the benefit of surgery without surgery- I know they are an acclaimed hospital, that was never my concern, just that this feels like my last shot at getting it back on track and really want a method that will give me the best tool to help me get it right. Thanks for everyones replys.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!
NeedhamGal
on 9/3/08 6:06 am - MA
You are also lucky to have gotten in so quickly...some people wait months. This is a positive sign...I can feel it!
I will keep my fingers crossed!!

pepsi98
on 9/3/08 6:59 am - Norwich, CT
I believe this is the Restore procedure which also has not shown to be promising as many people have said that the sutures haven't held.

Most Active