Surgery for the recovering addict

Msdragonz
on 9/1/08 7:34 am - NEPA, PA
I'm going out on a limb here and breaking my anonymity because I really need to know that other addicts came out of their surgery and got off pain meds without risking relapse.
I know that in "more will be revealed" in the NA basic text it has a couple of suggestions for the addict who has surgery. 1 Is to stop meds while still in pain or while still in the hospital-I just doubt that that will be a possibility since I remember my original open rny-SUPER PAIN!
I am hoping that the revision will not be open, but considering that I have a GIANT scar that required 57 staples I am being relistic. Adhesions probably abound in there.
So here's the big question-(I know I am not the only recovering addict here!) Aside from having someone "dole out" your meds (which I will do), can you share a little experience, strength and hope? I will be celebrating 1 year on sept 20th, 2008 and I do not wnt to blow this, but I am certain about needing the revision.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Robin
Msdragonz
on 9/1/08 8:16 am - NEPA, PA
Oh cool,
I just noticed there was an addictions forum-guess I'll repost this there:)
Nita515
on 9/1/08 10:05 am

Good Luck to you... You will only find success because you are researching and preparing adequately.

louisec
on 9/1/08 1:53 pm - Orange County, CA
You are welcome to contact me privately.
My DOS is 10/04/90
I have had serveral surgeries in the last 18 years and am very HONEST with myself and my Dr.s.
Louise
brenbrit58
on 9/2/08 4:18 am - Milton, FL
I think you are wonderfull for asking such a question and TMI .....no never with me. There are all sorts of people with problems here.
I wouldthink it best to tell your surgeon about your addcition well before sugery and discuss things about pain management and options that are available. I was fine after my sugery and only pushed the button one the morphine drip one time actually it was the nurse that did it after I said I'm not in pain just got a little stinging sensation and said thats pain and pushed my button. I can't say it made me feel any better, I would rather have had tylenol etc.
Good luck.
Brenda.

Most Active