I am hypoglycemic, supposed to fast...

-Butterfly-
on 8/31/08 2:50 pm

I am worried that I will have a hypoglycemic attack while fasting for my procedure!!  My blood sugars have been dropping erratically for a while now.  I can't eat or drink after midnight Monday, and my appointment is 9 am on Tuesday.  I have to go to the hospital at 7 am for blood work.  What is acceptable while fasting, in the event that my blood sugar should drop?  I didn't think to ask my doctor until it happened today when I missed lunch and out of nowhere I got the shakes.   My husband asked me what I am supposed to do if that happened while I am fasting... now I wonder too!  lol  

I would call and ask, but his office is closed til Tuesday!! 

~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs
Back up to 400 lbs - 2008

Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part one - 9/2/08
Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part two - 10/10/08
Magyargal
on 8/31/08 2:58 pm
My daughter is one too, she had to fast one week before surgery.. she did fine.. She just had her surgery last week...Magyargal
-Butterfly-
on 9/1/08 12:41 am
Thanks, I hope so... but I am pretty nervous about it!  

Good luck to your daughter, I hope she has great success! 
 ~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/08 12:48 am - AZ
Most obese hypoglycemics are hypoglycemic because of their high carb intake.  When your body adjusts to a healthier, lower carb diet you'll do well.

Fasting means nothing by mouth, nothing.  So nothing is acceptable while fasting.

latinasoi
on 9/1/08 5:59 am - Orlando, FL
I agree with Midwesterngirl!!!!!   The day before surgery, if you are allowed to eat,dDo no eat any Carbs!!!!! try to stay away from sugar, these are the killers with hypoglycemia.   I use to be Hypo also,  unfortunatey now I am a Diabetic.  But I noticed that if I ate bread, rice, pasta, refined sugar or things of that nature I was dropping really low.  Eat meat, veggies, and low glycemic fruit the day before, and you should be able to handle your sugar lows.  And wake up as late as you possibly could!!!! Taje a shower and tell the hubby lets go.....that way you don't have a chance to think.  Good Louck and God Bless You

Annette, Orlando, FL
-Butterfly-
on 9/1/08 8:28 am

Thanks everyone!  Tonight I start the fasting, but I just got back from my family BBQ and I've already eaten carbs gallore!!!!!  Tonight were going out for dinner with my Aunt and Niece at my FAVORITE place in the whole world Carrabba's Italian Grill!!!  I LOVE Italian food, and after I get this "revision", I am giving it up!  So its like... my last "Hooray!"!  Before bed I'll try to do a protein load.... Think that might work?

As for the "get up, shower and go" idea... that would be great!  But, we have to be up at 5am to shower and get ready, then drive an hour (through construction) to the hospital, be there by 7 for my blood & paper work and then wait til 9 for my procedure.  So, it will be a long and active morning.  I get low blood sugar just taking my shower in the morning, if I don't eat something or drink OJ first.... this will be fun!!!    LOL

Oh well, I am so excited about my second chance!  God will get me through, just gotta have faith!

Have a great evening everyone!  I will post after I get home tomorrow and tell ya how it went! 

Tomorrow, I start LOSING!

~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs

latinasoi
on 9/2/08 12:55 am - Orlando, FL
Congrats!!!! Can't wait to hear back from you!!!! good Luck, feel well, and God Bless You!!!

Annette
Most Active