RNY in 2004 - Regained 50 pounds and counting

Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 11:42 am - Sebastian, FL
Dr. Bolar was your surgeon and Dr. Niebert was mine... both have a "we can save you" type practice - I found several of the office staff to be rather rude/fake - the program started off with a bang but fizzled rather quickly... no followup after the hospital as they claimed, it was on meo make it work - thank God my mother had gone to the patient care courses so she knew what I needed (my mom is 5'1" and weighs 100 lbs) - of course there is the "Bari Ball" that is hosted by the practice every December - folks get all dressed up and are treated to drinks and snacks, a band etc - suppose to show off your success etc. - I never made it to celebrate... it is trully a money making thing - but I am willing to make corrections to get back on track - I am wiser this time and will go with the procedure that will be serve me long term.  My new surgeon suggested a revision surgery where they go in and basically tighten the pouch surgically - I am also now researching the lap band - have heard there is long term success which is what I need/want.

How about you?  Have you made any decisions on what revision procedure you would like to have done?  Do you live in Somerset?

Margie

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 11:58 am

You are so right. You could see the (self applied) halo on Dr. Bolar's head. There is only one person from his practice that really sticks out in my head, and it's because she rubbed me the wrong way. I got absolutely no follow up! I saw the doc to get my staples out, then at my 6 months, and that was it, never saw him again. I'm not sure what happened with him. He hopped from G'town to Samaritan, and it doesn't even seem like he was there a year and he was gone to TN! Is Niebert still around? I sure don't hear much about him, if so. The Oldham/Weiss team seem to have taken over Lex/Gtown. 

Thank goodness for your mom! I have never heard of the Bari Ball, but I would have never made it anyway!!

I am also wiser, way wiser, this time around. I really know what I need to do now. I'm having a revision to DS, if I can get insurance approval.

I'm not going to try to discourage you from anything.....BUT, I have to tell you....if your surgeon is suggesting the Stomaphyx, really, really read all these boards. There have not been any really good results for anyone who's posted about it. I'm just telling you to be careful. I think this is another quick (not insurance covered for me) buck being made by surgeons who know we are desperate. And I'm not referring to your surgeon specifically, as I don't know who you have. :) Do your research on the lapband too. I do think people have success with it, both as a first surgery and as a revision surgery. That's initially what I was seeking out, but changed my mind over a year ago. I know that I need some more malabsorption. I'm not always just a volume eater. I've read everything I can possibly think of, and I waffled for a while about whether I wanted a revision of my RNY, or if I wanted to try for the DS. I finally decided on the DS because of the long term results. I do not want to fail, and I do not want to have a failed surgery ever again. :)

Jill

me5150dispatcher
on 9/4/08 1:27 pm - Hollister, CA
OMG! Reading your posts has made me feel better! I thought I was the only one (or at least one of very few) that has had a regain.

I started at 467 and had the RNY via lap and got down to 330 then no matter what I did the weight started coming back. I'm now at 420 and am wanting to get a revision. My insurance (Anthem BSBC, CA) says they will cover it if I get a pre-cert.

Any info on any of the revision surgeries would be helpful. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so my husband and I can talk about it (he is behind me no matter what) and start the journey.

When I had my surgery I had just recovered from a complete hysterectomy because of cancer caused by being so overweight. I'm starting to think that maybe I wasn't quite ready mentally for the GB.  Seeing my tummy get closer to the steering wheel and all my clothes become tighter is not very good on the self image!!
KRWaters
on 8/31/08 9:06 am - Manteca, CA
I also had Rny In April of 05. I have gained over 40 pounds, never made it to goal, stopped at 90 pound loss. lI have chosen to have a revision to a DS. I would advise everyone to at least check out the DS before you make your final decision. You should know all your options. One way is to do a distal RnY from the proximal, but you are still left with a "pouch". Why torture yourself again. Just get the DS and you will be better for it. No dumping, no pounch, eat normaly, fat is your friend, no strictures usually, better weight loss. Well just check it out. Come to the DS forum and see what we all have to say.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

mew6495
on 8/31/08 10:13 am - MI
 Like many others here I have also regained some of my original weight loss.  I had RNY in 2001.  An ERNY is also an option.  In this procedure they leave your pouch alone, since this is what attributes to a lot of the risk with revisions on RNY, and go with a shorter common channel, much like the DSer's.  I don't have a lot of problems with dumping or being able to eat the stuff I should be eating.  So if you don't dump or have some of the other issues that some RNyer's have this could also be an option.  In reality, of all the RNYer's out there only a small percentage dump after you get past the initial stages.  There are quite a few options available for revisions.  Do your homework and find one that best suites you and your life style.  Good luck to you.
2008Amy2008
on 8/31/08 8:45 pm
We sound about the same. I had RNY Feb. 2004 and did amazing. Lost down to 129 which at 5'9" means I was super slim. I gained a little each year and then quit smoking last year and all was pretty much lost. Hungry all the time. Got up to 172 lbs, a 43 lb weight gain.

I knew that revision surgery paid for by my insurance was out of the question. My BMI was only 25.4. Therefore, to lose the 43 lbs, I had to go self pay, and most surgeries are darn expensive! I had the stomaphyx for $6,000 this past Wed. August 30th. Yep, I'll end up paying $139 per pound, and that is only if I am successful. I just couldn't handle gaining a lb a week and being hungry most of the day.

I've been reading that the stomaphyx dosen't have the best results, but I will try to make the best of it!

Wish you the best of luck!
Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 10:42 am - Sebastian, FL
Hi Amy - I hope you are feeling well!  So tell me about this type of revision... I have never heard of it until now with reading the different posts on this forum. The uncontrollable need to eat is my biggest problem - I graze all day long despite best intentions every morning... I can deny the weight gain no more!  Please keep in touch - hope you are doing good! - M
2008Amy2008
on 9/3/08 9:50 pm
Doing well so far, but it's only been since last Wed, 8 days. I have lost 12 lbs since then, which is huge considering that I'm a very lightweight. I feel zero urge to eat. My Dr. had already done 10 of these prior to seeing me, so that may have helped me. I'll let you know how it goes!
Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 11:11 pm - Sebastian, FL
YOU GO GIRL!  Lightweight or not you are doing GREAT!  Please keep me posted! 

Margie

Most Active