RNY in 2004 - Regained 50 pounds and counting

Margie McQueen
on 8/30/08 1:12 pm - Sebastian, FL
Hello Everyone!

I, like many others on this forum, have had WLS - had the RNY done in Feb 04 and to date have regained 50 pounds (size 12 to 18W) - I am not happy with myself... disgust comes to mind... while I thought I had it all under control it is now painfully obvious that I don't... I recently moved from KY to VA - met with a doc in VA and at the time (April) he indicated I was not heavy enough for the revision and BC/BS denied the revision... well I am quite sure I am more than ready now!  Big problem I am having now is deciding or knowing what options are available other than an additional RNY type revision... is a lap band possible or a waste of time?  I feel hopeless and need some help - if anyone has any words of wisdom or information I would sincerely appreciate anything you can provide...

- I want to be a loser  

- - Margie
-Butterfly-
on 8/30/08 3:40 pm
Hi Margie!

I am right there with ya!  I gained back 50 pounds too....

I am going Tuesday for a non-surgical procedure (check siggy as I can't remember how to spell it LOL) My doc says its much better then StomaphyX, which is round about the same thing as I am having, but with out sewing flaps in my stomach.  He believes this will work for me, as it will shrink my stoma and keep me full longer.  My main problem is I do not stay full longer then 15 - 20 minutes, no matter what or how much I eat or do.  He believes that my stoma is my malfunction, we will see!

Check it out, good luck!  Don't feel too bad, your not alone! 
 ~Keria~
RN-Y Bypass - 2004
615 lbs to 350 lbs
Back up to 400 lbs - 2008

Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part one - 9/2/08
Endoscopic Sclerotherapy part two - 10/10/08
Margie McQueen
on 8/30/08 8:12 pm - Sebastian, FL
Thank you for your input!  It is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who is experiencing this!  This is definetly not an area that is openly discussed during the WLS process - perhaps it was but I was overwhelmed with the thought of being a big loser!  Please keep me posted in your progres... thanks again! - M
Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 11:16 pm - Sebastian, FL

Good Morning Butterfly!

Just checking in to see how you are doing - did you have the procedure done?  If so how did it go?  You indicated your procedure was "non-surgical" - I am just exploring different revisional procedures so would appreciate any insight you can give... take care! 

Margie

runnergirl
on 8/30/08 11:50 pm - Canada
 Morning,
I think lots of us relate with what you are going through.I had a VBG done ten years ago and have regained around 80lbs. I looked at what was available and have chosen the DS for my revision procedure. If all goes well my date will be Qct 1st. Take your time with your choice but just read about all the procedures and talk to lots of people. Good luck!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 1:02 am
If you are able to travel back to KY, Dr. Husted is moving here in the next couple of weeks. He is a top-notch revision surgeon. I'm going to see him when he gets settled in, as I'm looking into a revision also. I also have BCBS.

Thanks,
Jill
Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 10:39 am - Sebastian, FL
Hi Jill - thank you for taking the time to post info on Dr. Husted - where is he coming from?  Do you know who he will be in practice with or hospital afiliation?  I had the RNY done at St. Joe's East in Lexington -

My only concern with traveling back to KY and having the revision done there as opposed to VA where we currently reside, is the fact that I will have no affiliation to any support group - that was a major problem when I had the initial procedure done - the workgroup met once a month but did little for follow up with the patients who were losing... the workgroups were targeted to the new loser... it was difficult at best to stay with it but I did succeed in the weight loss which was good. 

Did you have the RNY or lap band?
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 10:59 am
Hi! Dr. Husted is moving to Somerset from San Francisco. He is going to be doing surgeries at Lake Cumberland Medical Center. I'm not sure how you would handle follow up with support groups.....that's a very good question.

I had the RNY back in Jan of 2002. I had it at Georgetown Comm Hosp, when Dr. Bolar was practicing there.

Thanks,
Jill
Margie McQueen
on 9/3/08 11:07 am - Sebastian, FL
San Fran to Somerset - now that will be a BIG change!  I hope he has done his homework on that move... KY is a beautiful state - we miss it terribly but my kids are both at UK so we make frequent trips home!

Yeah, the support groups seem to be key along with being able to stay online talking with folks who know what you go through - the weight loss was dramatic but not as dramatic as the re-gain - I am so disgusted with myself these days... I long for the day when I get this under control again.  I would so like to be a guest speaker during one of the "come learn about WLS" seminars - people need to be better educated on the ups and downs of the procedure and weight loss - it does not cure all - it is a tool that has to be taken out of the box and worked with each and every day...

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 11:23 am

Yep. HUGE change. He has practice in Nashville in years past, so he is familiar with this side of the country. Ha. I'm hoping Somerset is everything he hoped for and more...I can't even imagine a comparison to San Fran.

Support is huge. As is education. I totally understand what you mean about wanting to be a guest speaker one of the pre-op seminars. I feel so many surgeons are just out there selling a surgery and do not have enough education available for us. I feel bad for pre-ops who, like myself at the time, just don't know any better, or don't realize there are options out there. I wish I had known then half of what I know now....oh such is life.

Oh my gosh, the re-gain is so dramatic, and for me so shameful. Yes, I'm also disgusted with myself at some point nearly every day. I have come to finally make peace with the fact that this is not "all my fault." At least not only all my fault. My surgeon and his program are also to blame.

Thanks,
Jill

Most Active