Rny or Lap Band? My surgery is in 2 weeks.. help!!

lapoli7
on 8/30/08 12:36 pm - Rialto, CA
If you are not a BIG eater I wouldn't recommend the band. I mean we all can eat alot at times, but unless that is the usual I wouldn't do the band. I had the band about 3 yrs ago and it has failed me as a tool. I now know through edcating myself that I needed to have an RNY or DS. So I am in the process of trying to get approved for that right now.

Best Wishes!
Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

babsintx
on 8/31/08 12:58 am - GA
Hi Becky,

No surgery is perfect. I had a band for 5 years and now I have a sleeve. The band complication rate is much higher than reported in my opinion. MY revision took 4 hours due to adhesions to my liver, stomach, a prolapsed band and tons of scar tissue that had to be removed due to the band being too tight for my original anatomy. I had the 9.75 Inamed band for 2003 which was the first generation band here in the US. The first two years was great til the problems started. I did not considerr revision to RNY since I did not want malabsorption, did not feel I needed it to help me get to goal since my primary problem is volume eating. The sleeve is very very easy compared to banding. No one talks much about the long term complications of the band. I went to Vegas in 03 with 12 friends who were banded. None of us are banded anymore due to numerous complications. We all had different surgeons and some of us had different bands since we were not all banded in the US, so most of the problems had to do with slippage, band erosion and in one case a port infection that left a huge gaping hole in my friends stomach for 8 months. It never healed and had to be removed.
The RNY is a good option, but there are issues with this too like stretch pouches , fistulas, strictures etc... Like I said , nothing is perfect.

Babs

KRWaters
on 8/31/08 9:16 am, edited 8/31/08 9:17 am - Manteca, CA
It is not to late to check out the DS before yjour make the final decision. You will mosjt likely do the best with the DS. The band is a worthless piece of #$#@# I think. So many have had problems with it. Please check out the DS forum and listen to the peeps there and read and read, you will see the happiest people on earth have the DS.

ETA: If you are authorized for the Rny or the lapband, you definitely can appeal to get the DS. No weight is too low for the DS. Check out DS forum and several there can help you get your DS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 2:38 pm
I have mad up my mind to have the lap band, but I respect your opinion. I pray that I will have better luck with the band.. I guess what I have learned on this journey so far is that there are pros & cons with every surgery and unfortunately noone knows how they will do with any WLS until we experience it for ourselves..
Take care,
Becky
KRWaters
on 8/31/08 5:27 pm - Manteca, CA
I wish you well Becky.
Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 1:39 pm
Actually I am a big eater, which is probably my biggest problem..I've decided to go with the band after much thought..
I wish you the best with your journey,
Becky
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 1:43 am
Hi Babs,
I am so sorry you had to go through all of that!! It's stories like yours that scare the hell out of me, but I guess you're right, nothing is perfect. All of us are basically guine pigs when we have any weight loss surgery because we won't know which surgery will work best for us because we are all different. Unfortunately, we take our chances when we have any surgery and hope to God it works for our body. It's a shame that we have to do this at all. I sure wish there was an easier way, but I feel at this time its my only chance.
After much thought, I have decided to have my Lap band after all. Please say a prayer for me and I will do the same for you.
Take care,
Becky
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 4:06 am
Thank you I agree completely.. My insurance will only cover Lap or Rny also. It is confusing with all the choices and differences in opinions, but I am at peace with my decision to have Lap band after much research..Take care & I wish you all the best
Becky

Most Active