Rny or Lap Band? My surgery is in 2 weeks.. help!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/08 1:11 am
Please help me. I have no where else to turn. I am having Lap band surgery on 9-11-08 and I keep having all of these 2nd thoughts. I am worried about the band slipping, eroding, and the maintainence. The idea of having to go in for fills the rest of my life is frightening. I have watched the fills being done on youtube videos and it seems like they are painful. My doctors office doesn't use any pain killer first either.. So that worries me a little. Is it painful?? I am also worried about  the future.. What if I don't have insurance and can't afford a fill? Then I am screwed. and will just gain my weight back? I have heard alot of people say they are still hungry all the time with Lap band, is this true? Also, How long and how many fills will it take to get restriction? I know my surgeon doesn't add any saline until like 4 wks after surgery.
I am just worried that with the lap band it will be a lot higher maintainence and not as good as results.  I am thinking maybe the RNY would be
better for the future because once I am healed, I just have to eat right and exercise and take vitamins and live my life, unlike Lap band and all of the fills and worries about the band inside...
Please help me, I am a nervous wreck and thought I would ask for advice before I call in the morning and tell them I have changed my mind..
Becky
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/08 5:18 am - AZ
I responded to this on the band board.

Only thing I will add is that for me personally, I would not get the band or bypass.  I'd still do the sleeve.  Better and faster weight loss than banding and of band, sleeve, bypass, and DS it has the fewest long term risks and complications.

deanne75
on 8/29/08 12:35 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Revision on 12/10/08 with
Hi,

I have tried to make a point of not making any negative comments on here, as everyone is different on what they need for WLS.  Although the band has been successful for some, I personally hate it.  I have had it for 8 years, fills have never worked, except at times been so tight that i can only drink water, not even juice or milk.  I am 40lbs higher than when i had surgery. 

The band allows me to eat easy foods like chips, crackers, or chocolate at any given time, but when i comes to eating oranges, bananas, any meat, etc, it often gets stuck and i have to vomit to get rid of it.

But you need to do what is best for you.  some people have done really well with the band, i just know that i would recommend it.

take care,
deanne  

8 lbs lost before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 1:26 pm
I pray that I will have better luck with the band.. I guess what I have learned on this journey so far is that there are pros & cons with every surgery and unfortunately noone knows how they will do with any WLS until we experience it for ourselves..
Take care,
Becky
MARCIAM
on 8/29/08 1:54 pm - Sayville, NY
I had my band removed on 8/20.  I had terrible acid reflux for months, had to have all the saline in my band removed and then started to throw up solid food. I lived on liquids for weeks until my surgeon finally removed my band in emergency surgery.  I would no longer recommend the band to anyone. I have been approved for a revision to RNY and I will find out this week when it will be scheduled.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 4:19 am

Good luck to you, I wish you all the best
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 2:40 am - Brampton, Canada
I had a revision to Lap Band over 28 months ago from an old stomach stapling.  The fills are not painful and I have never had freezing.  Once you are down a fair bit the fills can last between months to years at the same level.  I love my band and it has been great and still eat a lot of what I love but satisfied with small portion.

However you bandsters in the states don't seem to have the aftercare that we do here with lifetime fills and warranty for any complications.  If you have to pay for fills and can't or don't wish to I suggest the band is not for you.  Maybe another wls is a better fit but they all have possible complications such as the RNY for strictures, etc.

For me a fill takes 5 minutes for an office call and I don't need to worry about how many grams of protein I am ingesting or anemia or other deficiencies that you do need to be concerned with and diligent with like the DS or RNY.

If you are not sure which surgery to have don't go ahead with your band, research and make a decision on a surgery that you are comfortable with.
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 4:18 am
Thank you so much. I am at peace with my decision to have my lap band after much soul searching, research, and the many great replies like yours...
I wish you all the best
Becky
Katrina B.
on 8/30/08 3:45 am - Prestonsburg, KY
Hi Becky,

I would suggest thinking about what type of eater you are and going from there. Both procedures are restrictive but RNY also adds the malabsorption factor. Don't forget DS and the sleeve also. All surgeries come with risks. I am a little over 2 years postop and the only surgery that was offered to me was either RNY or lap-band... They say hindsight is 20/20.. and I believe it .. 'cause I wish I would've had a DS.

Katrina
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 1:46 am
I guess there is no way to know what surgery is best for our body. We just take our chances and hope for the best...
Take care and best wishes,
Becky
Most Active