anyone have their band removed?

amanda M.
on 8/29/08 2:21 am - harrisburg, PA
 asically I had my band for a whole year.  In that year, my port got infected (pus-ing and draining) and removed once.... then after he replaced it, the second port got infected and also removed.  

Okay, so when he removed that port i guess they tuck the tubing into your whatevers.  Well, since it was the actual BAND that was infected for me and not the port... the infection had nowhere to "leak"- since the port had been an outlet for the infection, I didn't have any side effects of the infection.  

But now that there was no "outlet" the infection was seeping into my body.  I got really sick; I had 102-103 fevers with chills and sweats daily.... I had an immense pain in my side which led the doctors to believe that I had a kidney infection (not a band infection) I had really bad dry heaves and nausea.... finally after 3 weeks and antibiotics and I was still really sick and had lost like 20 pounds and my freaking hair was falling out, I demanded that this band be ******g removed!

So, I went in for the surgery which "was supposed to be quick and easy" and well it wasn't!  Because the band was SO infected, it had infected my entire body.  The doctor said I had "cobwebs" of infectious tissue from the band to my organs and the whole surgery went from 40 minutes to 4 hours and it was open.  So.  I am home now and its been 2 weeks today.... I'm still sore and I still can't eat normal but I am doing better.

sweetness75
on 8/29/08 3:44 am - Seat Pleasant, MD
Amanda,
I am so sorry to hear about all the problems you had with your band. I had my band removed two months ago not because of any type of infection. I did because it just wasn't working for me. I had the VSG done and have lost over 30 pounds. It was the best thing I could have ever done. I know that there was another person that was suppose to have the sleeve and she had the band done. There was a reason that she wasn't about to get the sleeve I know that it had something to do with her band you may want to post on the VSG board she will come out and respond if this is what happened to her. You are in my prayer and I hope that you fully recover.

Chastity

Beginning/Current/Second mini goal/Goal
311             260        250             200

If I stay strong and watch what I eat the pounds will melt away. Thanks for the support.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/08 5:12 am - AZ
I was banded 20 months ago, lost 130 pounds but due to non stop problems with my band I threw in the towel and revised to a sleeve almost three months ago.  Sleeves are SOOOO freak'en much easier than banding.  Bands are hard to live with, full of risks and complications, not very effective compared to other surgery types, and check out this very board for the number of people revising to another procedure from a band.

I can see doing a band after bypass, the anatomy is different and it makes sense to me why we don't see band after bypass folks posting non stop about problems and complications, just people with a whole stomach that are being banded seem to have the problems.

I sincerely do not believe banding is going to last more than 10 years in the greater majority of people.  Sleeves have better weight loss, faster weight loss, and the fewest long term complications of banding, sleeves, and bypass. Well, DS too.

Check out the sleeve board, there is life as a thin person after banding.

MARCIAM
on 8/29/08 1:48 pm - Sayville, NY
I had my band removed on August 20th.  It was emergency surgery because I couldn't tolerate any solid food and almost no liquids either. I no longer have acid reflux and I can eat and enjoy food again.  I am going to have a revision to RNY.  I see my surgeon this coming Wednesday and my next surgery will be scheduled.

I am so sorry to hear about all of your problems and hope you are on the road to recovery.

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

babsintx
on 8/31/08 12:46 am - GA
Hi Amanda,

Had a band for almost 5 years. It was removed and I had a revision at the same time to a sleeve. I love my sleeve. It is so much easier than the band was and I am back to losing again.

Babs

Brittwoman
on 8/31/08 3:30 am - West Babylon, NY
I had my band for 3.5 years, have a major slip with some erotion and had to have it removed in an emergency procedure on 7/30/07. I then had a revision to RNY 2 months later and am totally thrilled with my RNY. I should have done the RNY to begin with, but I let the "fear" of having my insides "rearranged" rule my 1st decision which was totally STUPID on my part. But so much for the past, my future is now GREAT!!!!
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 4:09 am - AZ
Question for you....

At the time of your revision you were a lightweight in the world of bariatrics.  If someone has RNY as a lightweight vs. a heavyweight, wouldn't you have less control of weight loss than a band or sleeve revision?  I was a BMI of 21-22 at my revision from band to sleeve and it was a buggar maintaining my weight.  I'm just wondering how it works with a lightweight and RNY.

bluek
on 8/31/08 6:04 am - Austin, TX

How did you get someone to revise you to a sleeve with a BMI of 21-22??  I have a band and am getting a new band put in (the AP band).  I wanted a sleeve, but was told that my BMI was too low to have get a sleeve - and I'm around 24!

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 6:23 am - AZ
Nahhh... your doc needs to get with the program.  The Standard of Care in the US, Mexico, and Austraila is to do a revision at the same time your band is removed.  You can control your weight with a sleeve as well as a band...kinda.  It's a struggle but it can be done.  On the post op diet it's all about carbs and sugar.  Does your doctor do many sleeves?  That might be the issue, perhaps he doesn't do sleeves and that's why you are getting another band?

Why are you getting a new band? What happened?

I think I lost 8# with my revision.  I still have a couple more to regain but with a BMI of 24 that's perfect.  I'd get the sleeve, no way would I get another band.  You'll just be getting another revision in your future anyway with another band.

Brittwoman
on 8/31/08 12:45 pm - West Babylon, NY
My surgeon and I both decided to bypass only 90cm and not the usual 100 - 150 cm of intestine. So I've been losing my weight nice and slow and steady. As you can see by my ticker..I've lost 65 lbs in 11 months just like I wanted to do. Also a side notes, all my blood levels are PERFECT because I follow the rules on suplimentation to the letter. I also had no hair loss issues
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

Most Active