My StomaPhyx plan and experience

HoopersJudge
on 8/31/08 1:55 pm - hamilton, NJ
On August 30, 2008 at 8:29 PM Pacific Time, HoopersJudge wrote:
On August 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
With all the controversy over Stomaphyx I'm really glad you are posting this.  It will be interesting to see long term.

I have asked ObesityHelp.com to create a forum just for the StomaPhyx procedure. However, I have not heard back from them. Perhaps if enough people request it then the admins will create one. I would certainly like to hear form others who have had the procedure.
i am determined to make this surgery work and believe that the apparently high failure rate is due to a lack of education for both the surgeon and the patient on how to properly use this tool post operatively. i have been following much of the information in the EndoGastric Solutions patient materials for EsoPhyx that I just happened to snag from my surgeon's office. it would be very useful if they published such materials for StomaPhyx. And their patient web site is absolutely terrible, offering no information of educational value (their physciian web site isn't too great either).

Also, the nutritionist at my surgeon's office was key in setting up a post surgical meal plan with me, outlining the dietary guidelines I needed to follow, and even talking about specific brands of protein drinks. i send her three days worth of meals per week via email and she analyzes them. she also answers any questions i have via email. eventually, we will setup a meal plan for me to follow long term once i return to whole foods. she suggests that we work together for six months. she also setup an exercise plan for me but i have not been able to do the half hour a day YET that she recommends... however, to be clear, exercise is key to keeping off weight long term.

the receptionist who works at my surgeon's office worked very closely with this nutritionist and she took off 42lbs.

it is also key to understand that the surgery addresses the physcial aspects of the disease of compulsive overeating. however, there are the emotional aspects of the illness that we need to deal with, too. this is something that our surgeon cannot help with. to address my emotional issues with food i attend Overeater's Annonymous and it is excellent. let's face it, i did not reach 285lbs because i have a slow metabolism. unless i am willing to address the emotional issues that led me to eat my weight in food every week, eating food in response to everything, then i will find ways to eat through my surgery eventually.

so, folks, it a three pronged approach, a program of healthy eating per the pouch rules (and the StomaPhyx rules), exercise (a daily half hour walk is something everyone can do), and addressing the emotional issues for your food addiction in counseling.
jonathan R.
on 8/30/08 4:49 am - east meadow, ny
How did your insurance cover it.  I was told it was experimental.  Could you find out what cpt code the doctor used to get it approved so I can tell my surgeon.

Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/08 7:53 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I had the Stomaphx on July 31st I believe. (I am 4 weeks post-op) and I am doing well.  I have lost 16 pounds (10lbs the first week from the clear liquid diet). 

As to insurance, if you will find a doctor and a clinic that will charge your endoscopy part of the procedure to your insurance, you can just pay for the rest of it. (usually about half price - 5K).

I have just started eating solid foods again, but I can tell a huge difference in my restriction.  I have also seen my pouch during two different swallow studies (one at 1 week post op and one at 4 weeks post op) and my stomach/pouch is smaller than my esophagus.  My doctor was very aggressive with the procedure (12 clips) putting in as many folds and clips as the volume of my stomach would allow. 

The only way this is going to work, is to follow the instructions, have a doctor that understands your behaviors, and is willing to be very aggressive.

As to the pain post op.  I was throwing up for about an hour afterwords and I have a saver sore throat for two days, but other than that it was no big deal. 

I have had an Open VBG (2000), Open Gastric Bypass (2001 because of complication with the VBG), and two attempts at a "Band over bypass" (2007 and 2008) which failed because of the amount of scar tissue I had, and this Stomaphx was a breeze compared to anything else I have gone through. 

So far, i am a fan.  But will keep you guys posted if I can find this thread again.  I seem to have issues navigating this site. 

If anyone wants to contact me directly you are welcome to, as I know I had a hard time finding someone that had actually went through it.
[email protected]

Thanks,
Troy
HoopersJudge
on 8/30/08 1:25 pm - hamilton, NJ
On August 30, 2008 at 11:49 AM Pacific Time, jonathan R. wrote:
How did your insurance cover it.  I was told it was experimental.  Could you find out what cpt code the doctor used to get it approved so I can tell my surgeon.

Thanks
Revision jejunostomy due to dumping syndrome.
jonathan R.
on 8/31/08 1:12 pm - east meadow, ny
 Thanks for the info.  What kind of insurance do you have?
HoopersJudge
on 8/31/08 1:34 pm - hamilton, NJ
On August 31, 2008 at 8:12 PM Pacific Time, jonathan R. wrote:
 Thanks for the info.  What kind of insurance do you have?
I have Fallon Community Health Plan, part of PHCS. Its a pretty basic policy as I work for a small company.
HoopersJudge
on 8/31/08 5:51 am - hamilton, NJ

Post Op Day 5

I lost another 1.5lbs since yesterday, bringing my total weight loss to 7lbs in 5 days. My BMI is 30.23. I am nearing my first goal from the Stomaphyx surgery which is a BMI of 29, which will put me back in the overweight category vs obese.

I had to add a cup of undiluted cheddar cheese soup to my meal plan yesterday. I was rather hungry. This brought my daily values to 814 calories 24.7g fat 44.0g carbs 104.6g protein.

Nothing else much to report today. Here is my meal plan:

B: Syntrax nectar whey protein drink with Profect protein bullet and magnesium citrate and liquid vitamins blended together with ice and Spring water.
Snack: 8oz iced coffee with 8 oz soy milk and 4 packets Splenda.
L: ON 100% whey protein powder blended with 4oz soy milk and ice.
D: 1/2 c cream of chicken soup undiluted with 1/2c soy milk.
Metabolic: Jello with protein powder added

this provides 777 cals, 18.2g fat, 44.1g carb, 111.6g protein.

Note that coffee is not recommended by the EsoPhyx manufacturer at this point post surgery. I do not know about the StomaPhyx (same manufacturer) but I am avoiding it as a rule. Today the coffee did taste so good, though.

HoopersJudge
on 9/1/08 2:55 am - hamilton, NJ

Post Op Day 6...

I cannot remember if when I weighed myself this morning I was 193.5lbs (+1/2lb) or 192.5lbs (-1/2lb). Oh well, I guess I will see tomorrow.

I am feeling very tired. I do not know if this is from the surgery or because I am depressed, stressed, and worn out over family tragedies. I think probably the later. Other than that I feel fine. However, I am noticing my sense of smell seems much stronger since the surgery?!?!?!

This heightened sense of smell is bothering me right now as I can smell with intensity the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich my husband just made. It is making me crave food. This brings back the memory of how delicious food tasted post RNY GB when I was finally able to eat whole foods. I remember others who'd had the surgery called it being able to taste your food. I look forward to that reward again after this surgery and look forward to preparing fresh and delicious meals. Hopefully the herbs in my garden will still be growing. And I'll go to the Trenton Farmer's Market for all of my wonderful fresh produce every week. Its very enjoybale to walk around the market and I'll build up my steps!

Steps... I wear a pedometer per my nutritionist (the one who is part of my surgeon's practice). She wants me to get 5,000 steps a day. Sadly, since I work from home, my normal is 1,000 steps per day. When I am able to exercise again I'll have to dust off my elliptical in the basement and make a vow to use it every day. Until then, 1/2 hour or so walks are good.

Here is my meal plan for today:
B: 1/2 c condensed cheddar cheese soup undiluted with 1/2 c brocolli pureed. Followed by 1 scoop of Syntrex Whey Nectar lemon mixed with a few tbs of water to create a chewy little confection similar to sal****er taffy. The reason for adding the protein in this way is that my nutritionist wants my meals to have twice as many protein g as carb g since I am insulin resistant... a condition that causes oneself to hold onto weight. Balancing the ratio of protein to cards is key to shedding the pounds.
L: Protein drink made of Syntraz Whey Nectar lemon, liquid vitamins, magnesium citrate lemon, and 1/2 serving of Profect pineapple orange.
Metabolic: Popsicle, sugar free
D: 1/2 c lowfat vanilla yogurt blended with 1 scoop ON Gold Standard 100% Whey chocolate and ice
Metabolic: herbal tea with 2 packets Splenda and 1/4 scoop Syntrex Whey Nectar lemon. I htought I'd try this high protein version of teaa with lemon. I'll let you know if it tastes good.

This meal provides: 742 calories 17.4g fat 46.1g carbs 102.3g protein

HoopersJudge
on 9/2/08 6:03 am - hamilton, NJ

Post Op 1 Week... Sep 2 2008

Milestone attained: BMI below 30!

I weighed myself this morning I am 191.5lbs. This brings my BMI to 29.99, thereby achieving my first milestone post op which was to move from the BMI obese category to the overweight category. My total weight loss is 8.5lbs in one week. I can really notice the difference in my face and stomach. I feel much happier about myself.

My next milestone is to reach 185lbs by Sep 9, exactly one week from today. That means taht I need to lose 6.5lbs. In order to accomplish this, I'll need to get off my rump and walk. Thus, I pledge to walk 15 min every day. I have been fairly unsuccessful in achieving the 30 min walks so I will break it down into a smaller goal and once achieved, will work my way up to the 30 min walks.

I slept very soundly last night and as a result am feeling refreshed today. Perhaps not a ball of fire yet but certainly not experiencing the tiredness I have been across the last few days.

Here is my meal plan for today. BTW, the herbal tea with the lemon protein powder was tasty although a tad clumpy. Good enough that I'll have it again tonight. I also reccommend the yogurt with choclate protein powder... yum.

Early mroning: Cup of coffee with 1/2c soy milk and 1 oz half and half and 2 packets Splenda. Note that coffee is not reccommended at this phase. I am addicted and will need to be more disciplined moving forward.
B: Protein drink made of Syntraz Whey Nectar lemon, liquid vitamins, magnesium citrate lemon, and 1/2 serving of Profect pineapple orange. I also taake sublingual B12 every day. I forgot to mention that.
L: 1/2 c lowfat vanilla yogurt blended with 1 scoop ON Gold Standard 100% Whey chocolate
Metabolic: Popsicle, sugar free
D: 1/2 c Progresso split pea with bacon soup with 1/2 c cooked mushrooms added, pureed. Followed by 1 scoop of Syntrex Whey Nectar lemon mixed with a few tbs of water to create a chewy little confection similar to sal****er taffy. The reason for adding the protein in this way is that my nutritionist wants my meals to have twice as many protein g as carb g since I am insulin resistant... a condition that causes oneself to hold onto weight. Balancing the ratio of protein to cards is key to shedding the pounds.
Metabolic: herbal tea with 2 packets Splenda and 1/4 scoop Syntrex Whey Nectar lemon.

This meal provides: 719 calories 10.3g fat 53.3g carbs 105.2g protein

HoopersJudge
on 9/2/08 11:45 pm - hamilton, NJ

Post Op Day 8

I had to make a change last night in my food plan. the tea with protein powder came out funky and i had to throw it out. so, i had 1/2 c soy milk, 2 tbs crazy richard's p butter, and 1/4 scoop ON gold standard 100% whey protein powder chocolate. this changed my intake to 973 cals, 29g fat, 65g carb, 120g protein. this last meal was a little off the 2:1 protein / carb ratio as is my total daily intake, but its very close.

i lost another 1/2lb.

i had a cup of yogurt and 1 scoop protein powder for breakfast. it was definately too much to eat. i feel very tight and my stomach is grumbling. i also got a headache from it and feel the need for a nap. i must be more mindful of this. i don't want to tear anything, i am still young in the healing process. lesson learned: i need to commit my food every day before i put anything in my mouth.

here is my meal plan for today:
B: 1c lowfat vanilla yogurt with 1 scoop ON gold stanrd whey chocolate
L: 1 scoop Syntrax whey nectar lemon mixed with 3tsp magnesium citrate, 2 tbs Peter Gillham's liquid vitmins, and 1/2 serving Profect protein bullet.
D: 1/2c cooked mushrooms, .33c condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted, 1/4c soy milk all pureed together, 1.25 scoop Syntrax whey nectar lemon with a few drops water
Metabolic: 2 sugar-free popsicles, 1/2 scoop Syntrax whey nectar lemon with a few drops water

This provides 815 cals, 13g fat, 60g carb, 118g protein

Most Active