Patricia B.
on 8/28/08 6:00 am - Oxon Hill, MD
Hello,

I know how you are feeling.  I had the RNY in October 2000, only lost 80lbs.  Surgery weight was 350 lbs, so as you can see I had a lot more to go.  No matter what I did could not lose anymore and before I knew, I started regaining all the weight back except for 7 lbs. 

I never did go back to the surgeon that performed WLS...too ashamed.  I realized that I needed to do something drastic.  I started researching the different variations of wls and stumbled upon this doctor that specializes in revision.  Went to a group meeting that was very informative, he performs all types of wls surgery, lap-band, ds, vsg, rny.  Very impressed with his knowledge and bio.  Based on my eating  habits, I wanted the DS which has a greater success rate of not regaining weight.

I had the revision from rny to DS with a lapband in April 07.  I have lost 148 lbs with 40lbs more to go.  I am very happy that I got over my shamed and did something.  I hope that you get the support that you need.  It is not easy, but you can do it.  You did it before.  Your initial decision to have the surgery took a lot of courage and determination.  So don't be discouraged.  Look into all your options. 
VixyPlatinum
on 8/29/08 4:37 am, edited 10/1/08 4:03 am
KRWaters
on 8/30/08 4:48 am - Manteca, CA
Yes, I was a bit concerned to back to my original surgeon and he was very nice about it, just suggested a get a lapband over the RnY. I actually was considering this and checked out the lpaband forum. Then I wandered onto the DS forum and that is where I have been for over a year. Find a surgeon who does all 3 or at least one who does the DS and get his opinion. You will see you are not at fault at all. Don't beat yourself up. I wish you well.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

VixyPlatinum
on 9/15/08 2:26 am, edited 10/1/08 4:03 am
Sheryl_Williams
on 10/1/08 12:58 am
RNY on 02/25/08 with
What happened at your appointment??

When you say you had a failed RNY, can you tell me more about it?  Did the procedure itself fail where you couldn't lose any more weight, or was it a failure to comply with the lifestyle?  I ask because I had surgery in 2/08 and I'm struggling severely.  I've lost only about 43 pounds in the last seven months, and do more plateauing than anything.  I'm doing step aerobics for 45 minutes and eating (and charting) under 1500 calories a day, only to plateau. 

I've tried everything -- eat more, eat less, more fat, less fat, more protein (gives me headaches), less carbs, more carbs, more water.  It's endless.  I'm trying to find more information.  I've been back to my surgeon more times than I can say, and nothing is working.  The last time I went to see him, on 9/3, he told me he felt exercise was the key, and to do 45 minutes of cardio 3x a week.  I left his office, went to Walmart, and purchased a step and some videos.  I have not missed ONE day of exercise in the last 30 days.  NOT ONE!

The first 11 days after increasing exercise, I GAINED five pounds.  I went from 233 to 238.  I'm now at 234 even, so since September 14, I've lost 4 pounds, and no inches.  I'm not even where I was before I started exercising!  I've had thyroid tests that come back within normal limits.  I'd like to find out more from others who have had similar situations.

Thanks!
Sheryl Williams
To have what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.  Victories don't come at discount prices.
Most Active