In PHOENIX, AZ.....Revision??

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/08 2:45 pm - Phx, AZ
Hello.  I'm Liz from Phoenix.  Had an open RNY in Feb 2005, started at 282.  I got down to 159 (for like one day!) and then stayed at 165 for almost 2 years.  Have gained 15+ lbs since last October (10 mo) and presently am 180...

My biggest question is, do these symptoms possibly qualify me for a revision:

1-  90% of every time I eat, my heart pounds, I become short of breath, and I become irritable (this has gone on for 2 years)...is this dumping??

2-  I have NEVER been able to fully eat a "maintenance" diet (some rice or etc...any starch/bread) because of this "dumping"... no matter how little of this I eat.  I can ONLY eat proteins, fruits/veggies, dairy.

3-  For the past year or two, I burp constantly...but esp after eating; this includes very loud hiccupping after I eat. 

4-  Very often, my pouch experiences sharp stabbing pains.

5-  Much of the time, my intestinal tract feels as if it is burning.

6-  Even when eating as I do, with the slight weight gain, I feel "diabetic" again... I get so hot after I eat, and very tired, as if my blood sugars are rising again.  I cannot bear the thought of becoming dependent on medication again (pills/insulin).

I am going to have an upper GI done tomorrow, and have received approval to begin a program w/a new surgeon (since my original surgeon passed away), Dr. Blackstone in Scottsdale. 

Any comments???
--Liz
Deanne K.
on 8/25/08 2:49 pm - Tucson, AZ
Liz,
It sounds to me that you have all the symptoms of dumping syndrome.  The only one that I can say that probably is not is the stapping pain and the intestinal burning.  Dumping basically encompasses all that you ahve listed.

Best of Luck with Dr. Blackstone's office.  I am a former patient of hers. 

Deanne
Arizonadck
on 8/29/08 5:27 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Deanne,

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday!!  Good Luck!  I know you must be ecstatic!!

Carolyn
mew6495
on 8/26/08 8:54 am - MI
 Hi Liz,

I had RNY in 2001 and have gained back 50 lbs.  I have many of the same symptoms you have.  I agree that the majority of them are probably related to dumping with the exception of the burning, pouch pain and the burping and hiccupping after eating.  The burping and hippcupping has been the worst for me and it has increased over the past year.  I am not sure what that is but I sure would like to know!  I had an upper GI and it showed that I have reflux...hmmmm  wonder if this is why the burping and hippcupping???

I am in the process of getting a revision to an ERNY.  I chose to go to AZ  (I am from MI) with Dr. S because of his experience with different types of revisions and his willingness to work with you on what you want.  Maybe you should consider checking him out as he is close to you.  His office does a fabulous job with insurance.  Not sure what your insurance is but everyone is different when it comes to approval requirements for wls.  I would suggest calling them to see what their requirements are.

Sounds like you are taking the right steps.  Good luck to you.  
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/08 10:31 am - Phx, AZ
Hey, thanks so much for your reply.  I had the upper GI this a.m. and we'll see what it means. 

I have BCBS, and the surgeon my late-surgeon referred his patients to is Dr. Blackstone at Scottsdale Bariatric Ctr.  I have an appt Sept 16th.  My ins does cover revisions, so IF that is what is needed, I'll be ok.

Thanks again... hope your turns out well for you too.

Liz
Deanne K.
on 8/28/08 1:26 pm - Tucson, AZ
Liz,
Just be aware that Dr. Blackstone does not do revisions except to put a band over bypass, and only if you fit her certain criteria, obviously I never met what she wanted me to do and come to find out that I am not even a lap band candidate, glad that I got a 2nd opinion.  This is what she told me herself.  If you decide to do anything else, see Dr. Schlesinger as he does all the revision surgeries.
Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/08 5:20 am, edited 8/29/08 5:22 am - AZ
Blackstone?  Personally, I wouldn't go to her.  Not a chance.

ETA:  Are you taking a PPI?  Some of your symptoms sound an awful lot like esophageal irritation due to reflux.  Reflux can feel much different in a WLS person that a non-WLS person.

The hiccuping, pain, burning, burping... I'd check out that aspect.

Most Active