Revision Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery

Derith
on 8/24/08 2:48 pm
Has anyone gone thru the revision after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery? If so please tell me about your experience.

I wasn't mentally prepared for the surgery when I had it and have had to for therapy. Because of therapy and changes in my life like I am more active and eating healthy.  I am more prepared for what I initially set out for now I have gained weight and seem to be able to gain but not lose. My pouch just doesn't seem like it should be.

I just started reading about revision and want to know what others have experienced.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get back on track and begin again, now where I should have then.
Derith
on 8/25/08 3:18 am

Does anyone recommend a good revision doctor? The doctor who initially did my surgery is no longer in business. I have tried to contact him but nothing.

katrinaha
on 8/25/08 4:00 am - Houston, TX
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent did my revision, he is located in NW Houston.  281 921-1890.  Katrina
Derith
on 8/25/08 7:06 am
How are you feeling?
Kerry J.
on 8/26/08 11:22 am - Santa Clara, UT
I had a gastric bypass done back in 1980-81, I Have a staple line disruption and over the past 10 years gained all my weight back. I'm looking into getting a revision to DS, because of it 's malabsorbative and restrictive. It also retains you plyoric valve so there's no dumping and I will be able to eat like normal thin people do and not gain weight back.
Derith
on 8/26/08 8:26 pm
Did you know the staple line disrupted. Could you feel it or was it just the weight gain that alerted you that something was wrong? What other complications have you had?

The weight loss they say will be slower after revision is that true? Have you talk to a doctor yet?
Kerry J.
on 8/26/08 9:36 pm, edited 8/26/08 9:40 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I didn't know it was disrupted until a month ago when I did a barium swallow. That being said I think the staples started coming apart way back in 81-82. I had some really bad internal bleeding then and didn't realize it until I passed out from blood loss. I'm pretty sure that's when the disruption started, but I have no way to know for sure.

The only other complication I've had is that I got Hep C from the blood transfusion I had to have after I passed out. Back then, no one knew about Hep C, so there wasn't even testing for it. I found out about the Hep C in 1997 and the treatment was to give myself interferon shots every other day for a year. I was very lucky because I was cured of the Hep C, but the interferon is pretty bad stuff, it makes you feel like you're getting a real bad flu every other day. During that time I didn't exercise like I had been doing and I ate what ever I felt like eating because I felt so crappy and that was when I lost control of my weight.

I have been talking to three DS surgeons and one RNY surgeon and none of them have said that weight loss will be slower with a revision. I would think that your weight loss will depend on a lot of things. If you choose a DS I think it will come off pretty fast, but of course that will all depend on your choices.

I was able to diet and exercise successfully for almost 20 years with the help of my broken bypass. But I'm not 28 now and I don't want to have to depend on being able to exercise to keep from gaining weight, so I'm going to get a DS. The DS has enough malabsorbtion that I should be able to eat like a normal person and still keep the weight off. The only real down side I've been able to find about the DS is that I will have to take suppliments and get yearly blood work done to insure I don't get some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency.

If you want to learn more about this, I suggest you hang out on the Duodenal Switch Forum. There a bunch of very smart and experienced people there and you can learn all sorts of things.

Kerry

M. Hall
on 8/27/08 3:23 am - Norcross, GA
Hi
I had Rny in 2002! In 2005 I had my daughter and everything went downhill from there., Or should I say up on the scale. Ive been revised to an ERNY because of mechanical failures (fistula) and bad eating habits(I take part blame). I honestly cant tell you what surgery to have because I dont know anything about you as far as your health. I would just say investigate your DOC and your surgery. If you really have no major illnesses besides just being overweight then Id go for the DS or ERNY. Whatever Doc you go with make sure your comfortable with him and that he truly has your best interest at heart when it comes to surgery.
Most Active