6 months post LapBand to RNY revision update (got a bit long)

Gloria A.
on 8/19/08 9:24 pm - Federal Way, WA
Hi Everyone,

I usually lurk ... and just discovered my messages .. sorry to all with my late replies ... 

I originally had lap band surgery on 12/21/04 ... I did well with the band for the first 9 months, then my weight loss came to a screeching halt.  I started to struggle from that point forward with weight gain and trying to lose the last 40 or so lbs (I lost 100 lbs for about 1 day, so I claim 90 lbs).

In 2007, I started having issues .. more weight gain and real frustration.  My problem was not losing weight on the many, many diets I had been on .. but keeping the weight off.  It started to look like my yo-yo weight problem was returning.  Statistically I was still a success, maintaining a 70lb loss, but I was not happy.  After what I believe was a too tight fill (not from my surgeon) and pouch packing - hey, if I didn't have an eating disorder ya' know - my stomach had started to mushroom over the band.  My surgeon is sooo sharp, he suspected something was wrong w/ the tool (not me) and ordered a fluoro .. he rushed me to meet with the radiologist to prove to me things weren't "good" .. so we let out all of the fill .... 7 - 8 months later I had regained 50 lbs (40 lbs from my original weight).

We decided on a Lap Proximal RNY revision (150cm) .. I had just had a full hysterectomy and a revision to a distal was going to be risky w/ healing in that area and I didn't want to wait.  Plus, he and I know I am so bad w/ my vitamin regimen, Distal was probably not a good idea and probably not necessary for me to reach goal.  Insurance paid for my revision.

It was a 5.5 hour surgery, lotsa adhesions .. my band and my body were ready for the divorce apparently.  The part that hurt the most - the area where he removed the port - I think he really had to dig it out ****loid .. can't imagine what that port site looked like).

Six months out, I am down about 65 lbs .. weight loss has slowed but body shrinkage has not (isn't that just the weirdest thing!!).  I have completed the Seattle to Portland Bike Challenge in July (204+ miles in 2 days) - one of my goals for this year .. and work out 3 - 5 times a week

I had to learn to eat all over again - again.  I am still a "newbie" so I eat about 2 - 3 ozs per meal - 1.5 oz if it is meat like steak or pork, diligent about my protein and trying to get a vitamin routine.  I have found the weight loss to be quite different this time.  I am losing more "fat" than with the band .. leaner.  My arms didn't really get small as I lost weight with the band where with this revision, my arms are losing fat in proportion to the rest of my body.

I have severe dumping .. I can tolerate moderate amount of fruit but no juice of course.  Very low tolerance for sugar and simple carbs of any type (rice, crackers, bread, pasta you name it****ep trying (yup - still have the disease) and "relearn" via aversion therapy - the "sleepies" is a mild reaction where as "attack heart w/ nausea" is a strong reaction to sugar or things that become sugar quickly.  Fruit doesn't do this ... but of course, I don't eat much fruit at one sitting either.  Since I am a sugar, simple carb junkie ... I am okay with the severe dumping to reinforce my surgery.

I have a lot of loose skin ... but well worth it ... I have no qualms about getting plastics done next year ... I consider that a part of the process.

Thanks for the support, thanks for letting me lurk, thanks for taking the time to read this .. and, well, thanks for being there.

Cheers ... G

PekinSal
on 8/19/08 10:01 pm - UK
Hi Gloria - that's fantastic news, I'm really pleased to see you doing so well now, thanks for posting your update.

Its good to see that life can get better after revision, its such a big step to have to do this twice.

sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Gloria A.
on 8/20/08 7:42 am - Federal Way, WA
Thank you! .. yeah I never thought I would have to be revised.  I am not "sad" I had the band first .. but I think the bariatric world is just learning more and more about the pros and cons w/ the band.  I think more write-ups about the kind of weight loss is necessary too ... 

Yes I now have a procedure that includes malabsorption and restriction - but the fat loss is very different.  I am not good at "non-fat"  - won't eat fake fats like margarine etc.  .. so the band was a challenge wrt food choices.  I don't eat bad fats per se, but it seems that low fat is a must with the band.  If folks can follow that type of program then I think there is a much better chance with long term success with the band.

I exercised with my band too, but again, the weight loss was very different.

cheers,

g

AphY Girl
on 8/20/08 3:53 am
Congratulations on the weight loss!  You are an insperation.  One comment you said:

1.5 oz if it is meat like steak or pork

Becareful with the RNY Pouch when you are eating steak and pork... they are the two 'hard meats' that will stretch your pouch because they are harder / tougher to digest than say chicken. 

That is one of the reasons that I am on the path to a revision.

Gloria A.
on 8/20/08 7:33 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Emily,

I chew, chew, chew and eat REAL SLOW .. but I appreciated the coaching and advice

When I eat these protein choices - the steak or pork - and that is all I can eat at the meal... no salads, sides etc. .. I don't pouch pack with these protein choices .. 

I am treating my new pouch with all of the respect it deserves .. I find that I eat "too much" if the food is too slick .. 

curious .. are you revising a RnY?

thanks again for the support and kind words .. 

cheers,

g
AphY Girl
on 8/20/08 10:07 pm
Yes, chewing is the best thing with those tougher meats...

I am working on being revised from RNY to an Extended RNY or even a DS (if the doc says they can).  I started at 420lbs, my lowest weight was 230lbs - then I had 2 babies and got REALLY hungry and gained a bit of weight.  I went up to 330lbs but am at 310lbs at the moment.

I had an upper gi and a cat scan which showed I have another hernia (have had several and several bowel obstructions) in addition my pouch is emptying as soon as I eat so my stoma is stretched.

I have an appointment with Dr Procter here in GA (I originally had surgery in DE) - so we will see what he suggests.

If you stay on this page long enough you will see many lapband and RNY revisions.
Gloria A.
on 8/21/08 6:26 am - Federal Way, WA
Hey Emily,

Good luck with the appointment ... my sister has a distal (original surgery) and she did really well ... over 180+ loss

Sorry to hear about the hernia and stretched stoma ..

I will look for you update on the appointment and next steps

Cheers .. G
NeedhamGal
on 8/20/08 4:51 am - MA
Thanks for your detailed post!  I too had the band in 04 and had it ripped out 6 weeks ago. Would have been sooner if not for an insurance change.   I wish you well in your journey.. I am glad the journey  is differnet than the band....keeps us both on our toes!!

Joan
Gloria A.
on 8/20/08 7:44 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Joan .. thank you for the encouragement and I wish you well on your revised journey.

Cheers,
g
charleston-mom
on 8/21/08 11:48 pm
Congratulations! I'm a revision from band to RNY too. It's just so darn much better! You're doing great. My arms have not snapped back, so I do envy you that, but I'm much older than you. Anyway - you look great!
Most Active