I am a previous lap-band patient that is having gastric bypass in a few weeks, any advice???

Stacy S.
on 8/20/08 6:11 am - NJ
 Thanks for your reply!

I guess like I said before, the band is not for everyone!  Thankfully there are other options.  We all have to keep positive and try to connect with people that have gone through or are going through the same thing.

Good luck with everything and stay strong!

Stacy :)
Kerry J.
on 8/19/08 2:35 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Stacy,

I had a gastric bypass back in 1980 and it's a good tool for those that want to diet and exercise, buecase it really helps you in that regard. If you don't want to diet and exercise for the rest of your life to control your weight, a bypass is not a good idea IMO.

I was able to keep my weight off for almost 20 years, but there came a time when I had some other problems and I didn't eat right and exercise for about a year and I lost control of my weight and have not been able to get that control back partly because my pouch had stretched and my staple line leaks. I'm now looking to get a revision to DS, I urge you to read the studies and find out what the long term success rates are for RYN vs DS, so you make an informed decision.

You need to make your own decisions, but IMO, it's worth the extra time and effort to really know what all your options are before you go under the knife.

Best Regards,

Kerry
Gloria A.
on 8/19/08 7:00 pm, edited 8/19/08 8:36 pm - Federal Way, WA
 Hi Stacy,

I had my band surgery in Dec 04 and did quite well, lost 90+ lbs .. but I lost the majority of my weight in the first 9 months ... and then hit a wall of a plateau.  In Spring of 2007 I  believe I got too tight of a fill in an attempt to jump start my weight loss (not from my original surgeon but from the clinic he used to work in) ... I had some bad episodes of vomiting and pouch packing ... my original surgeon did fluoro study and found my stomach starting to mushroom over the band .. the beginning of what would have been an eroded band.  The Band had not slipped, however.  

I had all of the fill removed at that time and over the next 8 months I regained 50 of the original 90 pounds loss .. to say I was beyond sad, mad and frustrated would be correct.  My surgeon and I discussed options and I applied for a revision to Proximal RNY (insurance paid).  I could not believe the yo-yo cycle might be starting again.

I had my revision to Prox RNY January 2008 (4 weeks after my total hysterectomy) .. I have since lost about 65 pounds.  However, I am much smaller than with the original band weight loss - I am currently in the strange place of shrinking with not as much weight loss on the scale

What I have noticed with the RNY over the band is the amount of fat loss ... I am much "leaner" with my RNY .. I also have severe dumping, so no sugar or simple carbs enforced by aversion therapy  .. also, my revision took 5.5+ hours, there were a lot of adhesions and clean up my surgeon had to do once he got in there ... my body and the band were no longer friends apparently

I am very pleased with the revision ... I am very diligent about getting in my protein (yay Vitalady and Vitaguy) and trying to be as diligent about my vitamins ... try, try, try ...

I started exercising with a trainer 2 months after surgery - I am much more diligent and attentive this time around as well.  

Best wishes and good luck .. 

Cheers ... G

Stacy S.
on 8/20/08 6:17 am - NJ
 Hi Gloria,

It sounds like you have been through quite a lot with the band.  I am so happy to hear that the RNY is working well for you.

I have decided that after I recover from the RNY I will hire a trainer to help me along this process.  I really need someone to show me how to work on the areas of my body that need it the most. Speaking to everyone here has made me feel much better and confident about my decisions.  The band was not for me - period.  So now I am off to begin another journey.  I am glad to have met so many nice people that have shared their stories and have given great advice.

I wish you the best of luck now and in the future.

Thanks so much!

Stacy :)
Gloria A.
on 8/20/08 7:49 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Stacy .. best wishes and internet hug .. 

I did hire a trainer and worked with her 2 days a week .. down to 1 day a week now .. I think the trainer is a great choice.  You learn to exercise "correctly" and the appointment gets you to the gym!

Much success!!

Cheers,
g
Most Active