anyone traveled a long distance to have surgery alone?

pam_b
on 8/17/08 5:54 am
The doctor I  am hoping to see is moving to Kentucky.
It will be a 9 hour drive.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Pam   

jmwjskasick
on 8/17/08 1:25 pm - Granite City, IL
I had mine done in Chicago which is roughly 5 hours away from me. It is really hard and you have to make sure you are committed to going back for follow up care which can take a lot of time and money. Make sure u have a PCP near you and you should be fine.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
LadyJwb
on 8/18/08 6:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
Is there anyone that THIS doctor can refer you too? Becuase are you sure your willing to drive 9 hrs. for your 2week follow up(you want feel up to it trust me) 3mos vist, 6 mos visit, 9 mos visit, and so on any problem emergency visits you will have to drive 9 hours just to see him. I think you should think about this . I'm sure there is another crediable surgereon  in your area.

Arizonadck
on 8/18/08 12:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi - I live in Chgo and am seeking a revision by Dr. S. in Phoenix.  I had my consultation (over the phone) with him.  I will fly there (my mom & sister said they will go with me).  He said I have to stay 2 weeks - so I will get an extended stay hotel (there's one that they get a corporate rate also so I'll check it out).  He said I can't fly for a month so I have to either drive home (stopping every hour) or the train - I will choose the train (36 hours on a train is better than in a car since I can get up and walk around).  After that I don't know.  I have a good relationship with my PCP who will act as the go-between.  As for any emergencies I think he'll put me in touch w/a surgeon who would take my case.  Like I said I just had a short preliminary phone consultation.  Hasn't even been submitted to insurance yet - still doing all the preliminary stuff.  So, if it should happen (I just pray to God it does) between now and then I'm sure I'll have many more conversations with him to iron it all out.  So, I say go for it.  If you can't find a doctor you like and trust closer to you then it's worth it.  Will you have anyone to accompany you?  If not, that might be harder.  Could you take a train instead of drive?? And, like me, you'll probably have to stay in town near the surgeon for a while.  As for my 3 mos, 6 mos, etc. I don't know - only that my PCP will be the one doing the necessary lab work (the surgeon can piggyback).  It can work.  I've read other doctors having out of town patients so perhaps this one does too - and if so they must have different plans you can follow.  Call his office and find out!  Good Luck.  Let me know what happens!!  Carolyn
LoriAS
on 8/18/08 3:08 pm - CA
 Pam,
I assume you are talking about Dr. Husted.
If not please disregard this message.

I work with Dr. Husted and you can do all of your pre op requirements from home.
Once everything is done you will meet with Dr. Husted prior to your surgery, perhaps a day or 2 before, then you will have your surgery and be required to stay around for approx 10 days.
Again all of your post op testing and requirements can be done from your hometown. These are just approximations as each patient is different. We've had some fly home in 3 days and some chose to stay for 2 weeks.

We are also not a real 9-5 establishment. Since our patients are from all over the country we have the phones on usually until around 10 pm Pacific time.

Lori
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/08 12:03 am
Pam - See your PM. I'm literally less than 5 min away from the hospital and I will help you do whatever you need while you are here. I will hold your hand for sure!!

Thanks,
Jill
Most Active