Acid Reflux

rebeccaford
on 8/14/08 2:17 pm - Honolulu, HI
I had a VBG in 2003 and for the past 2 years have some pretty severe reflux.  I have an appt with a surgeon finally (after fluoroscopy & upper endoscopy showing some damage from reflux & very narrow stoma) with Dr. Carter @ Madigan. 

My GI doc says having a revision (I've gained all my weight back) will "cure" or at least greatly reduce the relfux.  I've been googling for a while now and can't see a really good "anatomical" reason why this is true.  I've read that a lot of people have had their reflux cured from a revision to RNY.

Can anyone tell me why this works?  I maybe having a blonde moment or something.

TIA...Becca
LosingSally
on 8/17/08 4:36 pm
One reason is most people who have Hiatal(sp?)  hernia have it repaired with the RNY.  That type hernia is where a portion of the stomach bulges above the muscle surrounding the esophogus and acid is forced up the esophogus.
Another reason is the the part of the stomach that produces acid is completely transected from the pouch that is left connected to the esophogus and therefore less acid is available to go up into the esophogus.
And of course, weight loss itself reduces the pressure on the stomach pushing acid into the esophogus.
KCameron
on 8/17/08 6:13 pm - Radcliff, KY
I think Losing Sally is right. I also have reflux with vbg, the separation where no acid can come into the pouch probably "cures" it with rny.
Most Active