Why do you lose slower with a revision???

charleston-mom
on 8/25/08 6:39 am
I was told by my doctor that the statistics about revisions losing less are slower are skewed because most people who are not successful at one weight loss surgery are not successful at the second because the issue is non-compliance with diet. If you are compliant, the weight loss should be equal, especially if it is a failure of the first weight loss surgery due to a mechanical breakdown, as mine was. I imagine if, as you say, you were exercising more, your weight loss would be equal to a first time patient. My weight loss has been right on track with first time RNY patients, both by percentage and time period. The statistics reflect non-compliance more than setpoint. If setpoint was as real as some people say, first time RNY'ers would not get to goal as often as they do. We all have messed up metabolisms due to dieting, losing and gaining over the years and yet people do get to goal and stay there. The physicians I've spoken with say setpoint is not anywhere near as much of a problem as people seem to think.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/15/08 5:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
It's not true 100%, but usually is true.

I think part of it is to help manage expectations.  Like with my sleeve, I can eat more than I could with my Lap-Band with good restriction.  That surprised me.  So, I'm eating more than I did with my Lap-Band.  The good thing (although some may view it as bad) is that I don't have any food restrictions like I had with my Lap-Band.  I can eat fruits and veggies and meats of all kind.  With the Lap-BAnd, so many foods caused problems.

But had I revised to a DS, I don't think I'd face a slower loss because malabsorbing 80% of the fat you eat and 50% of the protein would make up for it.

Part of it has to do with your body being used to eating less than a normal virgin stomach.  So, the calorie reduction isn't as great.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active