Why do you lose slower with a revision???

beachbag
on 8/14/08 9:33 am - TX
I have seen several people on here say...you lose slower with a revision...why is that??  I can't see how that makes since. why wouldn't you lose at the same rate?

I had the lap band and revised to sleeve last week.

Thanks friends!

50poundseal.gif picture by LaraNicole Banded from 06-28-07  - 05 - 24- 08  Lost 90+ lbs
                            Scheduled for sleeve 08-06-08

ginau
on 8/14/08 10:46 am - mesa, AZ
Not always true .. Depends on type of revision you have ...   a lot depends on amount of excess weight you have also ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

smile750
on 8/14/08 12:13 pm, edited 8/14/08 12:14 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
I think part of the reason is what you believe you can eat after surgery - I know that when I first had my RNY I did great -  100 lbs off in 5 months.  I ate exactly what they told me to, exercised, etc..

Now five years later, the weight loss has slowed and stopped coming off (and then coming on) when I didn't follow the "rules".  I started to drink sometimes when I ate.  Started eating more carbs.  Started with some soda (though diet) after a couple of years.  Even though I still couldn't eat much all at once still, I started grazing - a little here, a little there.  I learned how much sugar I could tolerate at once.  maybe 1 oreo in the morning and then another a few hours later.  It all adds up.  Your body also becomes more efficient at absorbing what you eat.  So the malabsorption (if you had RNY) isn't as great as it was when you first had surgery. 

I had the ROSE on July 8 and lost 15 lbs the first 5 days due to liquid diet.  I also felt weak and tired.  Once I started on the regular food again (which made me feel much better), weight loss slowed down with some stalls along the way due to the fact that I wasn't always eating protein first.  I also was consuming not so good carbs - pretzels and some chips along the way.  I didn't do that right after RNY because I was frankly scared to eat them.  So.... if you're able to keep to the rules and keep the protein up, drink lots of water/fluids, and eat good carbs (whole grains/fiber/etc..) then weight will come off (faster with exercise) just like any diet you follow - you  just have the added advantage of having the restriction in place to make you feel fuller faster.  I think it will always be a challenge to choose the right foods - I'm also of the mindset that the people who are successful at keeping the weight off after WLS are the ones that have figured out the mental part.

Jen
adperez
on 8/14/08 10:21 pm - NJ
Jen
what is ROSE? was dr Abkin your surgeon?
lapband 9/05-lapband removed 4/08-revision RNY 8/08

smile750
on 8/15/08 4:08 am - Bridgewater, NJ
No - I need to update profile.  Dr. Borao was my surgeon for the Rose at Monmouth Medical.

Jen
charleston-mom
on 8/15/08 1:40 am
I had a revision from lapband to RNY and didn't lose slower. I think it's a myth.
smile750
on 8/15/08 4:15 am - Bridgewater, NJ
I should have been clearer in my post - from band to RNY is totally different.  You are going from restriction to malabsorptive procedure.  Very different because now you have new "plumbing".   My point was that after some time after RNY specifically, malapbsorption lessens as your body adapts so you are absorbing more fat causing you to lose more slowly.  If you start to slack off after a few years, pouch and stoma can stretch and feeling of fullness won't last as long therefore you eat more often and weight stops coming off and then starts coming back on.  I liken it to going on a new diet and enjoying great success for a while.  After you get tired of the diet and eventually go off of it, gain weight back, etc.. you may decide to go back on the same diet to achieve the great success you did at the beginning.  Except, it's not so new to you like before so you're not as strict and weight comes off slower and you give up faster than before. 

getinther
on 8/25/08 5:11 am - AL
I keep seeing your post and am amazed.  You do nothave flabby arms?  How did you do that?
charleston-mom
on 8/25/08 6:34 am
They are really flabby - it's very careful positioning, just for the pictures. I actually never wear short-sleeve or no sleeve tops in public (can't hold the skin back when you move - ha ha!)
babsintx
on 8/15/08 2:56 am - GA
Hi,

Charleston Mom: You went from a restrictive to malabsorptive procedure and that would account for faster weight loss since the band requires more diligence.

It is true that revisions lose slower. I am a revision from band to sleeve and I am losing slower although I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing to lose the weight.

THe reasons for slower loss are as follows:

Body is at a lower set point and metabolism can be compromised due to years of reduced caloric intake

Age ( I am now perimenopausal . I wasnt when I was banded 5 years ago)

Compliance: Although I am compliant, I did more when I was first banded as far as exercise is concerned. I have chronic ongoing neck and back issues and had surgery last year which prevents me from enjoying some of the activities I once participated in.

There are more reasons, but these are some.

Babs

Most Active