Band to Sleeve on Monday 8/18, any help appreciated

piscesbandster
on 8/13/08 1:41 pm - New York, NY
VSG on 08/18/08 with
Been meaning to post for weeks but I have been stuck. Long story short, have had 2 band surgeries and one port revision. Horrible band experience, reflux not solved by anything, including changing the band.
After gaining back 60-70lbs, decided on Sleeve with endo, as I have extreme problems with insulin resistance and other food related hormones, such as ghrelin.
I know it's last minute, but have some pity on me and help me through some concerns. I would so appreciate it!
-Former lapbanders, what have been major problems/concerns. I am worried about scar tissue, adhesions, infections.
-Has anyone had or heard of staple line problems that they can tell me about to help my fears?
-What was the average stay in the hospital? What was the diet like in hospital?
-I was starving after both band surgeries. How fast do people get hungry/want food other than liquids?
-What is the speed of the weight loss for most? I lost so slowly on the band.
-Can anyone point me to places for post op liquid diets and other ideas. I have read a lot about pp getting naseous. What causes this?
-What is the situation about stretching and capacity? What do you eat 6 months out? Can you go to restaurants easily?
-Anything else you think might be helpful.

*Please forgive me for not doing my diligent people research this time. I did it so many times with my bands that I was message-boarded out. I am sorry I waited so long to ask but I didn't want to worry for so many weeks in advance. I did my operation research so don't worry. Thanks
PekinSal
on 8/14/08 6:43 am - UK
Firstly deep breath, and out, and chill!

I've got a sleevie as part of my DS, and compared with a band its a breeze. Firstly I don't get reflux now, and I'm off the anti-acid meds - the food actually goes through and out rather than hanging about above your band waiting to come back up.

I had no problems with the revision, but my surgeon took longer than he would normally do with a 'virgin' stomach because the band can thicken the stomach walls. I think mine is stapled and double stitched (and embroidered for all I know) and they check for leaks.

I was in hospital a week, but this included recovery for the DS bit which is major replumbing so sleevers will help you with this. Only had one soup in hospital, was on fluids.

I have hardly been hungry at all - for the first month eating was a total bore for me, and only tiny bits would fill me up (I have a 1oz stomach). I now feel hungry if I don't eat, but I feel faint before that anyway...

I lost 27lbs in the first month, and I'm up to 50odd lost by month 4. I will lose 50% of my excess weight by the target date of 6 months out.

Post op do what your surgeon says. Mine encouraged me to get onto solid food within a couple of weeks so as to not lose weight too fast (!). I could eat steak and fish by week 2.

4 months out - I ate two 2" burgers for dinner. Couldnt fit anything else in. We go out to eat, but I just have a starter and take my time (I can eat fatty food as a DSer, which helps grease it down...)

Oh you can't drink much with meals - my stomach hates it. I think you overfill it and it protests because of the limited capacity. Better to wait a while or drink before. But you can drink cold things glug glug glug which is lovely after the band...

DS revision from failed lapband

piscesbandster
on 8/14/08 1:21 pm - New York, NY
VSG on 08/18/08 with
Thanks SO much. I have promised my doc that I will do 2nd stage DS if I gain after this, as he feels sleeve only might regain. He spoke to me about the stomach wall thing, sigh...so scared of that, but all of you sound so great my fears are subsided. Thanks SO much again!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/15/08 5:35 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi:

I was revised from a band about 6 weeks ago.  It's been great.  Surgery recovery was much easier than the Band...and much less pain.

No food issues...although some people become lactose intolerant.

I was in the hospital two nights.  Clear liquids in the hospital once I passed the swallow test.

The ghrelin factor is amazing.  I really truly wasn't hungry.  Totally unlike with my Band.  To this day, I can easily forget about eating.

I can go to restaurants easily at this stage... let alone in six months. 

I will tell you I can eat more with my sleeve than with a tightly restricted Band... but it's so much better.  Food doesn't get stuck.  I don't PB.  I don't have to worry about finding a restroom.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

piscesbandster
on 8/15/08 7:23 am - New York, NY
VSG on 08/18/08 with
Hey!
You came up here to NYC to see Roslin (the one I know is at Lenox Hill). You have been the best story I've seen yet. How much weight lost in 6 wks? How many weeks of liquids did you do?
On the clears in the hospital, were you hungry? Were you anxious? What makes pp lactose intolerant?
I was never able to not be hungry and "forget" about eating w either band. I don't want a WLS that lets me easily eat, the band was either too tight or loose so I am looking forward to not eating so I can get rid of this weight I gained back.
I didn't have much pain with either band. So many pp on the sleeve forum say they have discomforts of different kinds. I really don't care aboutthe pain I just must lose this weight and then some.
Thanks for your help. I will keep in touch!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/15/08 7:29 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Pisces:

I lived in Brooklyn up until a few weeks ago. :)  Actually say Dr. Fielding for some fills.

Roslin requires 3 weeks of full liquids and then 2 weeks of mushees.  You need to crush all meds for the first three weeks.  I actually wasn't hungry, which was a first. 

I was really nervous going into the hospital, but received great care... and so that made things easier.  Absolutely no pain.  Really well managed. 

Many people (I think about 1/2) become lactose intolerant from removing the stomach.  Not sure why. :)

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

(Oh, I lost 22 pounds in about two weeks... and then was on a stall for two weeks... and now am down 27 pounds.  I need to lose about 100 pounds.)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active