Hating my band afraid of gastric bypass

Gloria A.
on 8/22/08 5:10 am - Federal Way, WA
Great response Zena ... I am a newbie RNY (revised from lap band) .. and I have severe dumping on sugar and things that turn to sugar fast (pasta, crackers, anything made w/ white flour) .. but you know what ... I need the dumping because those foods are my "drug" of choice and now I cannot eat them ...

My sister - a distal RnY (some call extended?) .. has no dumping and tolerates sugar better now post op than before her surgery ... so everyone will react differently.

And there is no "standard" for a gastric bypass in that surgeons use different techniques to form the stoma, bypass the intestines at different lengths for proximal (some 100cm, some 150cm, some not so much at all ) .. so you really, really need to research the surgeries in detail so you can ask the right questions.

(Not medical advice - BIG DISCLAIMER) I asked for the most bypass a proximal can have that is efficient  .. any more just causes gas, the runs and not any more weight loss (this is measured from the top near the stomach) .. an extended or distal measures "common channel" and this is measured from the colon "up" to the bypass site .. so the surgeries are technically different even if both done laproscopically.  And again, the term "medial", "distal", "extended" are not really defined wrt length of common channel - there are just "best practices" established .. so different surgeons may "interpret" these differently ..

DS is done differently today than even 5 years ago .. talk to DS'ers and find out what length of common channel (or if they are more prox bypassed) .. again research, research .. the old distals presented more problems than how the surgery is done today ... don't let urban legends about DS scare you away from that option.

I know people having great success with their bands .. but for me, the long term prognosis w/ the band in fighting my disease wasn't good ..

Best of luck with your research .. sending postive thoughts your way!!!

I have no regrets about getting my band, I have no regrets about getting my revision! Trying to stay postive on the journey ..
Cheers ... G

PekinSal
on 8/14/08 7:01 am - UK
Hi Peg

Me and my band were cr*p partners too, and we got a separation and divorce in April. I took up with the DS instead, and so far we're getting along fine. I totally understand you being depressed, but it isn't your fault, and just because the band hasnt worked for you shouldnt put you off one of the other surgeries.

I considered the gastric bypass as well, but chose the DS because of its reputation for curing diabetes, and because my surgeon said I needed malabsorption if the restriction of the band hadnt made me lose weight. It suits the way I eat (I love to graze, and I can eat unlimited fat and protein), and I didn't want to dump - I'd been diabetic for 10 years and it put me off feeling that kind of bad.

I felt much better after talking to the surgeon, and this is the first thing I would suggest you do - find a surgeon who does all of the surgeries and seek his/her advice. Then think about it for a bit. Post on all the boards - RNY/Sleeve/DS and get peoples views of what they like and dislike about their surgeries and why they chose them - we arent short of opinions here!

Good luck with your research

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

babsintx
on 8/15/08 3:00 am - GA
Hi,

I am revision after 5 years with a band. I chose the sleeve since I did not feel I needed the malabsorption to keep the weight off and I was successful with the band prior to complications. Why not consider the sleeve?

Babs

fortworthgal
on 8/15/08 11:37 am - Fort Worth , TX
I just got a revision from band to bypass. Its been a tough road. Recovery has been much harder this time around. The pain in the muscle where my port was really hurts and my whole abdomen is swollen and the pain radiates to my back.. And you can read my post about having to go back into the hospital for 5 nights. But I think I will be successful this time around. You know that full feeling we strived for with the band? I have it now and I can barely get in 700 calories a day. I have no desire to eat at all. Of course I am still in severe pain from the surgery but I get full so easily. I have lost 9 pounds so far. I think it would be more but am still swollen. I know it will get better every day and I dont regret it.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

charleston-mom
on 8/17/08 11:39 pm
I had revision from band to bypass in August with no problems at all, and weight loss just as fast as first-time RNY'ers. I've lost 130 pounds and am down to 118 as of this morning. I thank God every single day to have that horrible band out of me. RNY was the best thing I ever did. There is no comparison between the two surgeries. I say GO FOR IT!
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/08 1:43 am - AZ
Have you considered a sleeve?  Weight loss is about the same as bypass at five years, of bands, sleeves, RNY, and DS the sleeve has the fewest long term complications, there is no malabsorption so no supplements and labs, no maintenance or aftercare, and it's very cool. ;o)

Most Active