Hating my band afraid of gastric bypass

Peg M.
on 8/13/08 12:24 pm - NJ
My band has been in for 3 years I lost weight at the beginning mostly the 3 weeks after sugery but have been fighting it since. Up 2 down 2 now I have gained it all back and I'm miserable. I am seriously depressed and no one gets it.

I was looking into gastric bypass but my internist and my husband don't think it's a good idea and I'm kind of nervous about it. I have heard and seen a lot of problems with it.

I just don't know where to turn or what to do. Please advise and let me know how the bypass has worked if it did. What can and can't you eat? What about the dumping? Can you ever have sugar, fats?

Thanks and God Bless,

Peg

I THINK I CAN! Our God is an Awesome God -- Thank all of you for your support!
Zena Romy
on 8/13/08 1:26 pm - Canada
Hi Peg,

I just got a lap band put on over my bypass!  I had my bypass in 2000 and lost weight like crazy at first.  I lost 130 lbs, but, 8 years out I have gained back 40.  Bypass doesn't last.  That is the truth.  Your stomach will stretch again (it can even reattach itself).  The dumping syndrome will help you to stop eating sugars, but, again, it won't last.

When I had my bypass, I went to Dr. Wittgrove at Alvarado Hosptial in San Diego.  He was Carnie Wilson's doctor.  We were a group of about 7 who had the bypass at the same time.  NOT ONE of us kept the weight off.

I'm sorry if this sounds depressing, but I would hate for you to go through such a major surgery thinking it will be the solution - it isn't.  I URGE you to do your research.  Also, why not get in touch with your lap band surgeon and ask for some support?  Do you need it tightening? 

You have many options before a major surgery that will rewire your insides.

Good luck - I can sense your desperation and wish I could alleviate it for you.  We are all keeping you in our thoughts.

Zena
Peg M.
on 8/13/08 2:02 pm - NJ
Zena,

Thank you for your honesty. I really feel like a failure that not even WLS was the answer for me. I have had fills, unfills, complete unfills, swallow tests, tests for leakage all to no avail. The only way I lose weight is if I am so tight I can hardly eat anything.

I might talk to my WLS doc and ask about exploratory to see if anything is going on. I am at the point where I just want it out and go back to trying it on my own. This is worse than doing it on my own. I can't eat with my friends, I can't eat bread or eggs or steak ... a lot of things. Maybe maybe maybe....that's all it is.

I appreciate your post more than you know. Thanks for taking the time to care about me.

Fondly,

Peg

dndenton
on 8/13/08 5:23 pm - Gas City, IN
Peg:

I wanted to encourage you regarding Gastric Bypass. I have been a post-op for almost five years, and I have gained about 30lbs back. I want to reiterate what our doctors have constantly told us and that is WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IS A TOOL!! Simple as that. It is effective if we learn proper nutrition and diet. In my experience this has not been easy. I have "food issues" and have had them all my life--some forms of bulima, etc. I was under the impression that if I lost weight, my troubles would be over. I can honestly tell you that if you struggle with ANY eating issues it would be wise to get some counseling while you are researching other alternatives of WLS. Additonally, be patient with yourself---I KNOW IT"S HARD AND EASIER SAID THAN DONE, but you will find this process alot easier if you do so. I am in the initial stages of having a revision done, and I never thought I would find myself here. But with an enlarged stoma, I am finding that it is necessary to achieve a HEALTHY WEIGHT!!! 

Since I have been in counseling, God has been showing me how to address my issues with food. I have some good and bad days (remember 33 years of food issues :o) ), but I am learning that I have to do my part. Which means making the right choices about nutritoinal foods, exercising, and being REAL regarding my dietary issues. I hope this doesn't sound preachy, but I just wanted to encourage you and let you know that all WLS is not bad, and if you dedicate yourself to overall health it does work.

I know I don't know you, but I just wanted to tell you that you are not a failure, and that looking for other WLS alternatives means that you are concerned about your long term health. Also, spend some time "LOVING ON PEG" and appreciating the woman you are now, and the one that you are to become.  Spending so much time focusing on losing weight can consume you, trust me I KNOW---and sometimes works against you. Especially when you gain weight, instead of losing it..

I am glad that I had the Gastric Bypass, and I would gladly do it again. But I am also learning that I have a responsibility also.

I hope this helps, and God bless you on your journey.

~Danielle
BAShinn
on 8/16/08 1:26 am - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with
I was in a faculty meeting this week.  Our ice breaker was a game called Two Truths, One Lie, in which you tell two truths and one lie about yourself and people try to figure out which is the lie.  Mine were: I'm a published gourmet cook; I was a fencing champion at the Univ. of Ark; and my family raises race horses.  I don't think anyone in my family has ever owned a single horse...racing or otherwise. lol  I laughed later and said, "I should have put as one of my truths that I've had two weight loss surgeries!"  No one would believe that I am still this size after NOT ONE BUT TWO!  lol  Ah life's little ironies!

Bridget    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is a man who hopes they are.  ~Chauncey Mitchell Depew
SW: 275   
CW: 225   GW: 150

Total lost: 50 lbs.

Peg M.
on 8/16/08 3:01 am - NJ
Hi Bridget,

You look great! Did you have the band and then the sleeve? How do you think they compare to each other? Pros and Cons.

Thanks for answering my email. I like the two truths game.

Peg

BAShinn
on 8/16/08 7:49 am - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with
I had the band for 15 months before it nearly took my life!  I had a serious erosion which led to malnutrition, internal bleeding and infection (almost septic), fluid-filled lungs, etc.  A year ago I spent eight days in the hospital having it removed.  In November I had the sleeve but wish I'd just gone all the way with it and had DS.  I can outeat anything, so that might not have even worked.  I just love to cook and eat!  I am my own worst enemy! 

Bridget    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is a man who hopes they are.  ~Chauncey Mitchell Depew

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/08 1:50 am - AZ
Doesn't the band just suck in every possible way?  Gahhh...

Really, the only time I can see the value of the band is in RNY folks who have a band over their bypassed pouch.  I think that is a wise idea, but a band as a first op, no way.

BAShinn
on 8/23/08 3:10 am - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with

When the band works, it really works.  If it works for you, it really works for you.  BUT when it doesn't, it's not pretty.  I know lots of folks who have done great!  And I applaud them and am intensely envious!  lol  I wistfully remember the days of things being stuck and it being the end of the meal.  Heck...maybe even the end of meals for a day or so.  Now...pfft!  LOL  BUT...I'm NOT following the rules, so I have  NO ONE to blame but lil ol' me!  You're doing so well!  Congrats!

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/08 4:33 am - AZ
I can't honestly suggest the band to people anymore.  I don't believe it is safe for the majority of people long term.  I can see it in bypass folks, they have a different anatomy that I think would do better with a band than someone with a whole stomach.  But I can't honestly and sincerely tell anyone else that the band is a good or safe option.

Most Active